Chapter Five: Academic Success Pt.2

Learning Globby, who acted as an expected newly enrolled in the academy student, had recently made some new friends who appeared to want him to be more socially involved with their group only. He had become aware of the school's ranked system through their group, and sent me chat messages explaining himself apologetically. Knowing that he would have to temporarily distance himself from me, I understood that the hierarchy of status was slowly encroaching on his life. I recalled instances when Emirah, one of his friends, had been eager to improve his status to pursue the girl he admired and did something similar.

Initially, I had dismissed the significance of this information, considering it too cliché to ponder. However, upon remembering details about the academy's animal house factions, it became clear that every year, after the graduating class left, the incoming students would go through a secret evaluation. This process determined their placement into one of four houses: Valor House, Nebula House, Luminary House, or Zenith House. Thus, if I wanted additional information on Vesper, and security I'd have to join the best possible faction.

During this transitional period, students would prepare for the upcoming house inauguration ceremony, gradually forming social circles based on their strengths and weaknesses. While it was uncommon for students to change houses, it did happen, albeit rarely. Globby was clearly apprehensive about missing out, even though we knew our bond wouldn't change. It was frustrating for me to witness his youthful concerns while I, though appearing young, had a deeper understanding of the academy's inner workings and management.

As I sat alone in the park, my reluctance to socialize stemmed from my paranoia regarding Vesper's storyline in a television series I used to watch in my previous life. Although I was now living in the universe of my favorite TV show, I was cautious about placing too much hope in my situations. I needed to be certain that I wasn't a pawn in someone's manipulation.

I glanced at my trusty ID card, which functioned like a cellphone but lacked the ability to make calls. This versatile resource held great value beyond its primary functions. I cherished it, especially since it was something absent in the show I now found myself living. I understood that the path to becoming the greatest hero in the universe, like Emirah, would be a long one, but I also knew that I was him, just in a younger form. With this secret in mind, I kept to myself.

After finishing lunch, I made my way to the training chamber hallways, leading to the stadium's basement for new students. As I entered, I noticed numerous onlookers on the upper floors, while only eighty to a hundred students stood in the center of the stadium. The instructor floated in the air, overseeing everyone's actions. I had arrived fifteen minutes early, having learned that in this academy, being on time meant being late. Once again, I failed to spot any familiar faces, but it seemed that a few students were trying to steal glances at me, which puzzled me.

We were instructed to change into our training session attire in the bathrooms, each locker bearing our names. The school's autonomous system effortlessly provided the necessary supplies for the classroom, requiring students to bring only themselves. Shedding our blue uniform suits, we donned jumpsuits similar to track suits but with inner silk layers. As we put them on, the fabric seemed to conform to our bodies like a second skin, even generating a sleek fur-like coating that maintained a modest appearance. We were now all dressed in black from head to toe.

The attire was so lightweight and comfortable that it almost felt as if we were naked, wrapped in a warm embrace. The generational tools on our bodies were not as conspicuous as I had initially feared, allowing for easy movement without discomfort.

Returning to the stadium's center alongside my fellow students, we observed latecomers scrambling to form their own groups. The hovering instructor documented something on her pad, leaving us to wonder about the day's activities. Eventually, she pointed to three large screens above us, displaying groups of names and corresponding locations. Simultaneously, the stadium's floor began to glow in various colors. "Get to your circles!" she commanded.