3 The Marriage

I don't know what happened after I gave my nod, the next moment I found myself smeared with haldi.

I was always got up in between some masi's and chachi's. I lost those privacy I cherished so much.

If things kept up at this rate then the day I would sit on the mandap was not long.

True to my words, haldi, Sangeet, engagement, mehandi, everything was over in a blink of an eye.

I felt surreal at this whole situation. It was just yesterday I went on a strike.

But I find myself getting married in the next moment.

The day arrived when my parents were officially going to kick me out of the house.

All were happy, dancing and singing can be seen everywhere I turned to. We lived in a small village away from the civilization.

Seeing the number of people I thought my mother might have invited the entire village to my wedding.

Unable to tolerate all of this, I thought of finding solace in my room. But looks like all the girls around my age are stuffed inside to keep an eye on me.

My jaws were hurting from smiling for so long. Aunties whom I have never seen kept coming up to me to give their blessings.

The sound of groom's procession can be heard. Everyone ran to the balcony to watch it.

My cousins brought me to the balcony and made some space for me at the railing. I looked at the huge procession coming from afar.

If I was sceptical at the beginning now I am certain, my parents and his family had indeed invited the entire village to the wedding.

I tried to catch a glimpse of my soon to be husband but to my disappointment he had his face vieled.

Someone pulled me from the back. It was my brother, he looked handsome in his shervani.

"Sis I want to talk to you alone" saying that he continued to lead me.

I thought he might have found some private place for us to talk but he took me to the store room.

"Seriously, is this the place you came up with to talk" I asked him my voice dripping with sarcasm.

"Sister the entire house is filled with people, but the only place no one will enter is this dusty storeroom, so bear with it" he said throwing his hands up in the air.

I pursued my lips not saying anything. I knew what he said was true but I ended up taking out my frustration on him.

I sighed and said "sorry". He smiled understandingly at me.

"Sis, I only want to say one thing to you. If you are not happy in that family, then don't be scared to come back. I will be here to protect you" he said feeling shy at having to say such touching words.

I tried my best not to cry and ruin the make up. I raised my head and looked at the ceiling, I also felt my throat painfully clenching.

I looked at him and thanked him after successfully keeping the tears at bay.

He pulled me into a hug and patted on my head. Because of him one teardrop escaped from my eyes.

My brother brought me to the mandap and I saw the groom sitting there. I walked up to him sat beside him.

My mood was down after the storeroom incident. I didn't pay attention to my surroundings and all my actions seemed robotic guided by my mother.

Finally it was time for the phera and my mother had got down and so I didn't notice that he had already stood up.

He once again bent down my level and called me "hey", I came to my senses and stood up.

Soon the ceremony was completed and we became husband and wife.