4 The Husband

Marriage ceremonies came to an end. Now everyone came out to take part in the bidai. I moved toward my parents. The moment I reached near their hands' distance, both pulled me into their embrace.

This time I couldn't control my tears, they fell one by one. After hugging my parents, it was now my brother's turn.

I got separated from him and got pushed into the car. As I got in, the door closed.

I rolled the window down and looked back. I can see my family trying to put out a happy smile. I waved them goodbye until they were out of sight.

I don't know what kind of emotions I was going through. But they made me pretty depressed.

Lost in my thoughts I forgot about the presence beside me. I looked to my side, my husband still had his face veiled. He looked peaceful sitting there.

I wouldn't have noticed his presence if he hadn't reached out to hold my hand.

I looked at his hand that was covering mine. I did not take my hand from his. I turned to the front and leaned back closing my eyes.

I woke up hearing the sound of a door closing. I realised we had reached.

Before I reached out my hand to open the door, my husband beat me to it.

He held out his hand for me to hold. I took his outstretched hand and got out.

He did not let go my hand. He led me to the house.

My mother in law brought a big Diya for me to hold. I took it from her and took my first step inside the house.

By the time the rituals were over, it was already eleven at night. I felt tired, I wished for a bed to appear, so that I can sleep peacefully.

Mother in law brought me a new set of red saree. She asked me to wear it and enter the bridal chamber.

I took my time getting ready. My heart wasn't willing to give in. But for my family I had to bear with this situation.

His mother took me to his room.
"Go inside." She said leaving me in front of the door.

I let out a shaky breath and slowly turned the door knob.

The room was lit in candle lights. The bed was decorated in flowers and the floor was no exception.

But no one was inside waiting for me. I didn't have any idea of where to sit. Finding no suitable place other than the bed, I climbed on it and sat down.

My sitting position resembled that of a loyal wife waiting for her husband on her first night.

My heart skipped a beat when I heard the door knob turn.