Chapter Two- And so it begins

Jupiter woke with a startle, her little body flung forward in her bed, her sheets holding her tightly in place as she fought them for freedom. The scream that came from her little lungs woke Sycamore with a fright.

Her little Guardian struggled to get to his feet, he moved as swiftly as he could to the Princess, his own little bed was at the furthest corner of her room. Princess Jupiter had requested he stay in her nursery chambers the first week she came to Olamoore, and he hadn't left since. It was not a question that Rowan had put to him, it was an order. Sycamore was absolutely spitting feathers with such a request, but as the nights passed, and the little Princess's nightmares intensified, he realised that she had wanted to feel safe, and he made her feel that way.

"Sicko" she called into the darkness "Sicko" she pleaded.

"I'm here" came Sycamores squeaky little voice as he clambered up the steps placed beside Jupiter's bed.

Jupiter grabbed at him, his usual slicked back black hair all stuck up like a ravens tail feather. She pulled him onto the bed beside her and squeezed him like a beloved teddy bear. Sycamores face reddened as his neck was squeezed.

"Princess" he squeaked. "Can't....breathe"

Jupiter released him, his breathing rapid, gasping even, as he sucked back on the oxygen.

"Sorry Sicko" Jupiter apologised, patting his hair back down to just how he liked it, like she was petting her favourite kitty.

Sycamore righted himself, he gestured for Jupiter to lie her head back down "come on... I'll tuck you back in"

Jupiter did as she was asked, and she lied back down, her golden locks tucked back in under her sheets.

Sycamore observed her with concern, she looked apprehensive to return to slumber. "What happened" he asked.

Jupiters large green eyes travelled up to meet Sycamores gaze "The Gloam" she whispered.

Sycamore nodded "The Gloam" he repeated. "Again" he asked.

Jupiter nodded, hiding under the sheets that she lifted to just below her nose.

Sycamore reached over and peeled back the sheets so that he could see her mouth "You know it doesn't exist" he tells her "it's just a bad dream"

Jupiter shook her head, her little forehead creasing up with a frown. "It does so"

"It does not. I know all of this world little Princess and I can promise you that I have never been to this..." and he sighed frustratedly "this Gloam"

Jupiter wrinkled up her nose, annoyed at her Guardians disbelief. "Just because you don't see it" she explains "doesn't mean it isn't there"

Sycamore thought about that statement, it was quite true, after all, the Fae were in existence for many a thousand years, and not a soul believed them to be real. They survived living among the human race, and only because they were unseen.

Sycamores hand rested upon on the Princess's head, and he gently soothed her with a soft stroke "go back to sleep now. You have a big day tomorrow... you're to meet the Kingdoms"

"Not all" Jupiter yawned.

"Yes all" Sycamore retorted.

"Not his" she whispered, as her eyes finally closed.

"Whose?" Sycamore asked, his own apprehension evident in his beady little eyes and the wrinkle upon his pointed nosed.

Jupiters sleep finally claimed her, and Sycamore stayed to stroke her hair until he knew she was okay. He looked to the table of drawings upon the Princess's table, and his focus remained on one picture. A darkness sweeping across the kingdoms, like a storm cloud that moved overhead, its central focus, seemingly Olamoore.