Chapter Eleven - A treaty

"My Queen" Came Sycamores squeaky voice.

I had been staring at myself in the mirror, my ladies in waiting gone to prepare themselves for the ball. My reflection revealed an elegant, young and beautiful Queen, and yet underneath the clothing, and the Crown, there was so much more. I was a new Mother, trying to figure out on my feet how to be that for Jupiter, and what she needed and wanted. It hadn't been two months since discovering I was a parent, and now another was due to arrive imminently. On top of discovering I was now a Mother, I was also a newlywed, wanting to spend time with my Mate and desperate to connect with her. I had all these new roles thrust upon me the moment I took on the greatest responsibility and role of my life, my blood right, my birth right, my Mothers heir... the Queen.

From carefree rebellious Princess, to Mother, Wife and Queen of Olamoore in a few short months.

"What is wrong" Sycamore pressed, seeing how I was lost in my thoughts.

He walked over, his little suit seemed tighter than usual, his walk, again, more like a toy soldier all stiff in movement. I shook the vacant stare away and observed him there as if for the first time.

"What do you need" I asked "is Jupiter okay"

Sycamore sighed "She is dressing for the ball. Apparently I am not in her favour today, it is all about Willow" he huffed.

I could see his little chest puff up, and I realised then how he resembled a penguin in his little black and white suit, and a laugh shot out of me. A wicked and amused laugh.

Sycamore knew that laugh "Are you thinking about me dressed as Queen Anemone? Because if you are ... I'm going to need you to place your hands upon your temple and erase the memory, whether you turn your brain to mush or not"

I smiled and reached out to tickle his cheek like old times, but I hesitated and stopped just as I touched him "Don't be grumpy Sycamore" I told him, dropping my hand as if it had never reached for him "And don't be jealous, you know Jupiter adores you. You will be right back in a dress by tomorrow afternoon"

He stuck out his little finger accusingly "don't wish that on me"

"Now what is it?! I have to get to the Sacred chambers for a meeting. The most important of my reign so far"

Sycamore frowned "Is there something I should know about?!"

I stood, and gave myself one last glance over. The entire gown was excessively expensive and grand, if not heavy and unpractical to move in. White and Gold as expected.

I turned to Sycamore "No" and he followed me out, trying to avoid the train of my gown.

"I am still senior staff my Queen. You used to tell me all. I realise I have placed myself in an unfortunate position, and lost my right to be at your side, but I still worry about you, and if I can protect or serve, to help... please let me"

"No" I say again, a tad more strongly.

"Rowan" he pleaded, sounding more like my friend of old, my guardian, and less like my servant. "Please don't shut me out"

I stopped at the door before I opened it, my hand placed against the handle, and I looked over my shoulder and down toward the squeaky voice that I used to never be far from "I've grown out of your guardianship Sycamore. You are my daughters now, by her choice. Do not forget that if it weren't for Jupiter, you would already be dead. Andromeda has nothing but contempt for you. It is not my choice to keep you at my side, and don't you see how that's your fault, and your doing. You made it so I had to let you go... and I hate you for making me have to walk alone"