Chapter Seven - Duty

The council assembled immediately and met in the sacred chambers. The table was filled with my chosen Fae women, young and old, and my father's most trusted advisors Arden and Reed sat either side of me. Elm, being the oldest sibling, and the next in line to the throne until Jupiter came of age, was naturally included in these meetings too, and he sat directly opposite me.

"What is the meaning of this emergency meeting" Elm asked as he took a sip from his goblet.

All eyes fell to me. Bell, my personal healer, she looked alarmed, like she could feel the energy shifting and morphing around me to something scary.

"This afternoon a threat emerged" I began.

"A threat" Arden was startled.

"I did not hear the horn sound" Reed questioned, his thick dark brows coming together like kissing caterpillars on his brow.

"It didn't arrive by breaching the veil" I explained "it arrived, driven into the heart of my messenger... my dove"

"Oh no" Bell reacted, holding her cheeks in her hands and anticipating the announcement of Doodles death.

I looked to her and shook my head slightly "she is not dead, she barely survived though, and I do not think we shall see her again"

"What threat is this" Elm asked "Who is it... Sorcha?"

I pulled the note from my pocket and threw it down onto the table "A coward with no name" I explain. "A Coward who tries to toy with me like a cat would with a mouse"

Elm reached over quickly and took the note first, he read it urgently, his brow creasing into a frown, and his hand immediately smoothing over his blonde beard. "He, this threat, he believes he is in succession for this throne" he asked, seemingly astonished, and taken aback. He shook his head in disbelief and handed the note along to the next council member, a younger female Fae called Swan, and he looked back to me. "If he is looking for a King in Olamoore, well that would be me, and I am not looking for a crown"

I clicked my fingers "Arden, bring out the book, so that we might look upon the royal line"

Arden rose and went to retrieve it.

Elms eyes widened "Sister" he said accusingly "is that necessary. We all know the line of succession, it is burned into our necks after all, if you would all like to check mine" he suggests, reaching for his golden collar and tugging it sideways.

I raise my hand to discourage him, ordering him to stop "That is in no doubt Brother. I ask for the book so that we all witness it together, as a new council. We must be seen to be thorough in our search for this threat. He has no name, but he must be close... and I want to see if a name exists that I am not aware of. Not a sibling of course, but perhaps a claim to the throne from elsewhere"

"He is a raving loonatic" Swan adds, having read the note and passed it on. "He speaks of Oberon and the beginning of existence. He is a denier and must be plucked from this world like a bad seed, and thrown to the fire"

I felt my cheeks rise to smile without my permission. I liked her confidence. She sounded like Andy, and my mate could sure produce the fire to end this threat right now. Swan had some bite to her. She was very like her namesake, with big dark eyes, thick dark eyelashes, and hair that was as white as a swans feather. She can only of been a couple years older than me. I had noticed her spirit from afar, and chosen her for the council, because even without a title, Swan looked out for our people and stood up for those who had no voice. If she could be such a leader without the recognition or position of power, than I imagined she could be amazing with it.