Chapter Six - A message

Birds met me at my balcony, and as I had walked through my chambers towards them I had noted, the room was currently empty of all of Andromedas belongings. She had clearly moved back to her own chambers across the hall. My heart sank. I hadn't slept without her, not since we were married, and I wasn't so sure I would fall asleep anymore without the beat of her heart beside me, and the soft sounds of her breathing.

I look to the birds, two blue tits and a sparrow "what news" I ask.

The conversation is somewhat telepathic, the birds speak to me through thoughts and bird song. It is not common for Fae to have the ability to converse with them, but I was a quick student as a child, when there was nothing for me to do, but converse with the birds.

"Aspen is leaving the veil. Returning within a few moments, but always leaves at a similar spot. It is like he is searching for something"

I frown, and slowly sit. My thoughts whirl. "How is he leaving the veil, undetected" I ask.

The Sparrow added "He is ...I don't know how to explain it, slipping through as if he is not Fae at all. His magic is not detected by our new protection system"

"Impossible" I refute.

"Perhaps a cloaking spell" one of the Blue tits adds.

I sit myself down, deep in thought, only snapping out of it when the door is knocked and Eris enters. I look to the birds "Keep your watch" I ask them.

They fly away at once.

Eris comes to my side, taking the seat opposite "Andromeda is now settled back to her chambers" she tells me.

I sigh "I know"

"Sycamore is back to his awful black suit, and you will be happy to hear he's ditched the dress. He took it through his mirror to a place so far away that he said it could never be returned. I'm not sure he's thought about the fact that Jupiter has a strong will, and a wardrobe full of them" she laughed a little, trying I could tell, to lighten the mood.

"Is she okay?" I asked "Andy"

Eris lifted her lips slightly, offering a reassuring smile "She is taking a rest for the ball tonight. She is okay. Her dress is ready and waiting, and she is calm. Too calm if you ask me. I sense she is now more sad than she is angry"

I sigh once more, and deflate onto the table, my head resting on my arms. My crown slides down and clangs onto the table top. Eris picks it up and places it back onto my golden locks. I feel the weight of it and whine. "I don't like being the one in charge"

"Row Anne... get yourself together. Stop being a whinge bag and own your decisions. Andromeda might dislike your current decision to cuff her like a dog, but it is for the good of the kingdom. She is not herself. One day she will understand. Until then, you must own it. A Queen must never be seen as weak, or indecisive. You are our leader, and all Fae within Olamoore need you to be strong... and to lead with courage and confidence"

I turned my head to look at her, my cheek pressed to my arm, and my full lips creased open with the movement. My crown slides back down and clangs once again on the table.

"Your ladies in waiting are useless" Eris accuses, as she fights the crown back onto my head. "This should not move in a hurricane, let alone slide off. They are as useless as a chocolate teapot"

I smiled, she wasn't wrong.

"I saw them earlier" she says, adjusting and fixing the crown to a permanent spot on my temple. "They looked like Andromeda shot them out the top of the Great Hall in a Fire ball"