Chapter Three- The Summit

The fastest way to Valendoor, was to fly. We would leave as the first rays of light spilled through the forest, a beautiful areal display of pageantry performed by the starlings and the Swifts would send us on our way.

The Oak had a fleet for all occasions, and so today, with such a long journey, we would be taking the falcons. My personal favourite was the swifts, they were smooth and seamless in flight, soaring and diving with such fluidity. You flew like poetry in motion on the swift.

The falcons were large, and strong, and most importantly fast. Our Peregrine falcons were taken to war, for their ability to move through the skys at over 240 miles per hour, plummeting and diving, soaring and killing. It was their great diving speed that took the enemy's and plucked them from below with such ease, that made them first pickings for war.

I stood on the flight level of the Oak, pulling on my golden flying gloves, our Falcons were lined up and ready. Cricket and Robin had perfected my hair, choosing to place it up in a tight and unmoving style, my golden locks creating their own platted crown upon my head, where the true one was placed. I disliked being dressed and polished to within and inch of my life, but I was the Queen, and so every inch of me would reflect that. My gown had been replaced by riding gear, something more seemless for flight. It was not my usual white and gold, but black and gold. Tight. Unforgiving, if you had a big breakfast. As Andromeda entered the flight deck from the lift, her lip curl and eyebrow raise told me how she appreciated it.

She looked adorable, her bump was now proceeding her as she walked, this child would be here in weeks. My head was still spinning at our Leda's desire to get here in a flash. She didn't hang about, this child was not being held back a moment longer than necessary. My fears though, for Andy, they were mounting by the day. She had almost died giving birth to Jupiter, and now we were watching her grow faster than the hours could tick by, with a dangerous pregnancy that threatened her very life again. The guilt that I had for placing that light in her belly, it was great, and it kept me up with the moon ever since. We wanted Leda, of course we did, but the pace in which she was arriving, it was terrifying. My need to protect and conceal, it grew stronger, and Andy would hate what I was about to say.

She stopped in front of me, her gaze wavering a little as if she had just read my mind "what are you about to tell me" she asked.

I reached for her hand and drew it up to my cheek, kissing it and holding it affectionately there beside my lips. She looked perfectly splendid, her maternity clothing was not her usual cup of tea, they were dresses that were let out, and a little looser to move in. This dress today was white, with a golden belt that was created to bring her waist in above the bump. Her chestnut hair was half up, exposing her pointed ears. Eris had done a good job dressing her, as always. The green emeralds in her crown, they twinkled as the morning light hit.

"You look radiant as ever" I whispered with a smile.

Her eyebrow raised accusingly "Why is there not a saddle for me" she asked, gesturing to my falcon behind me.

I looked behind me to it, and kissed her hand once more before she pulled it away. "Rowan" she asked once more, this time a little less friendly.

"I'm here" came a voice I hadn't heard in a while. Andy and I looked on to see Ara her brother entering the flight deck with his formal court clothing obvious to a now confused Andromeda.

"Why are you here" she asked.

"It's nice to see you too" he replied, coming to her side and kissing her cheek "Queen Consort"

Andy's nose wrinkled up at the title, and I tried hard not to look amused. "She's not fond of the moniker" I inform him.

"Oh" he says surprised , and looking to her a little confused "Well Mother doesn't even call you Andromeda anymore... it's Queen Consort this and Queen Consort that. You wouldn't even know that you had ever been anything but. She could die quite happy now that one of the Star line are in the Oak, and her daughter no less"