Can't two people reconnect? The biggest lie I ever said (3/3)

While he's walking back to the media pen, Nico glances over his shoulder a few times.

Lewis isn't following him.

He doesn't know if he feels relieved or disappointed. He guesses it's something in between.

When he gets back, Jenson and Mark are waiting for him. Although Mark at least has the decency to look like he's busy, while Jenson just stands there, arms folded over his chest, his mouth set in a tight, straight line.

"What the fuck were you doing?"

Nico raises his eyebrow, "The man crashed. I just wanted to know if he was okay."

"The man crashed ----" Jenson paroted incredulously. "If Max had crashed, would you have gone to the Redbull pit wall? Would you have stolen GP's headset? Would you have gone into the Redbull garage, looking ready to kill anyone who would dare to tell you to go away?"

Nico blinked, expression blank. "I don't know. Maybe...."

"Maybe?!" Jenson all but explodes and looks over at Mark ,who shakes his head. "There is no maybe. You wouldn't, Nico. There's only 1 person in the world, a person that isn't yourself, you care enough about to do this for."

"Jenson ---" Mark tries, but is cut down very quickly.

"You know it's true, Mark. He wouldn't even do this for us."

Nico glances over at Mark, who winces but doesn't correct his friend, and it hurts to know that they both think the same thing.

But it hurts even more that it's probably the truth.

"I---I was just.....Worried."

Mark places a hand on Jenson's shoulder, shares a look with him, while Nico stares down and fiddles with his hands.

Jenson lets out a deep sigh. "I get that." A pause. "So, what did he say?"

Nico still stares at his hands, "Not much. Just that he was okay."

"And did seeing him reassure you that he really was okay?"

"Yeah. I guess so."

"Then that's all that matters." Jenson smiles and steps forward, squeezing Nico's shoulder.

They don't talk about the whole ordeal anymore, just do a quick debrief about the race and the interviews, which Nico had no hand in this time, then pack their bags and leave to go to their cars.

It's Mark who spots him first. The person leaning against Nico's car, who isn't Nico because he's walking almost next to him, on Jenson's other side.

Mark elbows Jenson to catch his attention, then nudges his head towards Nico's car.

Mark almost instantly regrets his actions, because Jenson immediately just stops walking, earning a very confused look from Nico, who still hasn't looked up into his car's direction.

"What the hell is he doing there?" They're still some metres apart, so Jenson knows the man at the car can't hear him. "Did he get lost or something?"

Nico just looks at him like he's stuck in the twilight zone. He's so confused.

"Look over at your car, mate." Mark helpfully supplies and Nico does look over then.

What, or who, he sees, makes him freeze.

"Shit."

Both Jenson and Mark give him worried looks.

"I can chase him away if you want," Jenson tells him, completely serious. "Just say the word and I'll do it."