Are you somewhere feeling lonely, even though he's right beside you?(2/3)

He doesn't see the man again.

He didn't tell Jenson about the, quite literal, crash into this stranger because something tells him he shouldn't.

He still has the picture, tucked away where Jenson won't look.

Sometimes he catches himself looking at it with a fond smile on his face. He still doesn't understand why it makes him smile.

But eventually he forgets - - -

He forgets looking at the picture. He forgets about the guy completely.

He was just some stranger after all.

Nico doesn't know why he suddenly finds himself in the grocery store, halting in the aisle with the cereals, staring at a box of frosties like it's the best thing he's ever seen.

He doesn't even like frosties.

Or at least he doesn't think he does.

Jenson gives him a questioning look, but at least has the decency not to tease him about it.

Everyone can get a sudden fascination with frosties, okay?

But that's not the only thing.....

Because, since a little while, every time Jenson asks him what he likes to eat for dinner, somehow the word "pizza" is the first thing that rolls off his tongue.

He doesn't get it. Why pizza of all things?

Or frosties. Or vanilla gelato. Or why he wants to go on vacation to Greece.

Or why every time he sees a commercial of Cirque du Soleil with people on unicycles, he suddenly gets the urge to ride one himself.

If Jenson is worried about him, he sure covers it up well.

But Nico is starting to fear that he's slowly going insane.

Jenson always goes with him to his therapy sessions, which is starting to make him angry, so they argue about it.

In fact they argue a lot lately.

Jenson insists it's because he cares about Nico. Nico thinks there's an ulterior motive.

He feels himself yearning for the old days. Though he doesn't really quite know what those days were or what he's yearning for.

It's like he's missing out on something important but his muddled brain can't come up with the answers.

Lewis didn't know it would affect him this much, knowing that Nico had forgotten him.

At first he thought; "it's just for the best."

If Nico had forgotten him, then he would too.

What were they still to each other anyway?

Only pain.

The memory of them was slowly being forgotten anyway. He barely saw the term 'brocedes', a thing he and Nico had laughed at together when they were still friends, appear anymore.

It was better this way. It was better to be forgotten than to be reminded of the hurt.

He was retired now. He could do whatever he wanted.

He was often found behind his piano, playing melancholic melodies.

He ate frosties in the morning and pizza in the evening. Vanilla gelato as dessert. Went to Greece on vacation. Did wheelies on his bike to resemble a unicycle.

It wasn't enough. Never enough to fill the void.

Part of his soul was missing. He knew where it was, but he also knew he couldn't get it back.

It was better to forget.