Part 19 - Chaos

"Charles I can hear the shower I know you're here just open the door."

Charles POV -
I knew the second I heard the knocking that it was going to be Charlotte, she's the only person who has ever had a key to the apartment, although it completely slipped my mind that she still had it, or that she'd ever speak to me again never mind show up here and let herself in.

I can see Lilly notice the colour leave my face as my body goes into complete panic, before hearing her voice at the bedroom door.

She doesn't know the real reason Charlotte and I ended things, all I can think is what's going to happen if I open this door and she sees us together, but I can't pretend I'm not here.

"2 minutes, just getting out the shower" I respond. Grabbing a towel to dry myself off, Lilly's eyes burn in my direction at my reply, what else was I supposed to do?

"Right ok, I'll just get dressed and sit on the bed, we've been friends for years she's not going to think anything is going on between us by me being in your room." Oh but she is. "I don't want this to be awkward while you talk to her." Lilly whispers.

She has no idea how much Charlotte will absolutely have something to say about her being in this room. Lilly and I haven't actually confirmed what we even are at the moment, not that that matters but I feel like I at least owe Charlotte a conversation after how things ended.

Now dry and dressed, I open the door and exit the bedroom immediately closing the door behind myself so Lilly isn't seen, Charlotte sitting on the sofa a few metres away, looking a little upset - but beautiful.

Stop it, I have to say to myself - what am I thinking. Lilly is right in the next room and after how I've been so hot and cold before us finally getting to a good place, I can't be looking at Charlotte like this, but she does look amazing.

"I've missed you" she says.

"I've missed you too."

The truth is, I hadn't thought about her once since we ended things, but seeing her here in front of me does make me think back on our relationship.

Lilly POV
Is he joking? He closed that door behind him with such force I feel like some sort of secret mistress that's been hidden away. I don't understand the issue with me being here? I've known Charlotte for years and yes right now I don't exactly want her to know Charles and I are together - if that's what we even are, but I don't want to be me to feel like I'm some dirty secret.

Ok maybe I shouldn't be doing this but my ear is pressed up so hard against the bedroom door while I try and listen into the conversation, that's when I hear him say it. "I miss you to."
Excuse me?

I feel like walking out of this room in nothing but underwear at the moment just to make a scene, but I have to compose myself because that isn't my best idea to date.

Next I hear, "Did you ever really love me, or has it always been her?"

What is she talking about? Did he cheat on her?! Surely not.

Without realising, I find myself pushed up against the door a little harder than I should have been, and it swings open, there I am. On the floor. It was clear I'd been hiding behind the door trying to listen in on their conversation this whole time, I'm mortified.

Charles's face drops as he sees me and Charlottes hand comes swinging with a slap catching the right hand side of this face.

"I knew it."

Was she talking about me? I'm so confused right now. She makes a run for the door and Charles goes running after her, I'm left on the floor feeling like a complete idiot - and also kind of hurt and annoyed that he's went running after her.

Hours pass and he's still not back. I'm so mad at this point, not even a message to let me know what's going on or where he is. It's now quarter to 6 and I need to be at my house in 15 minutes. This is going to be hard enough as it is and I really hoped he would be there with me.

I'm taking his car.

Jumping in the black pista I begin driving home, the winding streets of Monte Carlo are incredible, and it feels amazing behind behind the wheel of a powerful car again, even though i'm barely over the speed limit, I feel free.

Then I had to double take - was that Charles on the bench? Slowing down to almost a stop, we make eye contact. Charles and Charlotte sat on a bench, his arms around her consoling her while she's crying, his eyes speak a thousand words and right now they only have a look of being caught out.

What is he doing?!

Blocking Charles and this entire situation from my mind as I pull up outside my house, trying to settle my anxiety so I'm able to sit through this meeting. I don't even know whats going to happen but I've stressed myself out by overthinking and creating potential scenarios in my head.

He's already waiting outside my house as I pull up. A small man no taller than myself, maybe even smaller and I'm 5ft3, a briefcase in hand and a long jacket like some sort of Victorian looking detective. I get out the car and before I can gather my thoughts I hear "Nice to meet you, Miss Lilly Walker I presume?"

"Hello it's nice to meet you to, shall we go inside."

We sit, in silence - it's like he's waiting for me to say something but I have no idea what. After an awkward few further minutes of silence while he flicks through a file in front of him he eventually begins to read from the sheets, no warning and no context.

"The value of my Monte Carlo estate will be left to my daughter Lilly Walker, the ownership of my businesses will be left to my daughter Lilly Walker. All finances and assets will be left to my daughter Lilly Walker. The value of my Austin estate will be left to Sara Walker..."

He continues to read aloud from the page but I have no idea what's being said, I'm not longer listening. Who is Sara Walker?! And what Austin estate?!

—————————————————————————