05 - Welcome to Brimberth Kijah

KIJANI

KIJANI

🎶Summer Season - LEISURE, Muroki 🎶

" Sir ! Sir ! "

I woke up with a jolt.

" You need to wake up. The plane has already landed. ", said a steward.

I was completely lost but I got up as best I could with his help.

" Where are we ? ", I asked, disoriented.

He looked at me like I was a mad man.

" We are in Brimberth, sir. In California. ", he replied kindly .

" Oh... yeah "

I remember everything, the way my friends were acting before my departure, the way my mom remained silent, everything. And now, here I am, all alone in Brimberth. I want to die. I got off the plane and headed toward the airport to wait for my suitcase. When I got it I just froze, instantly. How do I go to this house again ? It had been more than 5 years since I had set foot there. Stress invades me. I need to sit to think for a bit. And that's what I did. I sat down for a while and took deep breaths. Now that I think of it, I did not open Léonie's gift. I open my suitcase and search for it. When I opened it, a beautiful headphone was in its packaging. I smiled, unconsciously.

To escape for a bit huh ?

She knows me so well. It's almost... scary. I put them on and then... the world stopped. All the noises around disappeared. There was only me and my thoughts left... I put on some music to calm down for a bit. #🎶

So, Where do I have to go ? What did I have to do before ? Now that I think of it, all I had to do was to go to the parking lot and a car was waiting for me. But when I was not old enough to take the plane by myself, they hired someone to take the plane with me. Nevertheless, something never changed. When I arrived in the car, no one was there. I was all by myself during the trip to this cursed house, touching the cold leather seat of the different cars that came looking for me. So let's find out if it's still the case. I stood up and walked all the way out to the car park. I remember now, it was always the same spot. And if it was not, it was the one nearby. When I went out, the hot air made me feel good. It was already dark, which did not bother me. I like this atmosphere. Nevertheless, I was dragging my feet to the big black car that I recognized right away. I didn't want to go. If it were up to me, I would turn around and buy the next flight straight to Paris but... I know my mom and she didn't say anything but I know that something is off. She wouldn't send me there otherwise. The thing is, why is she keeping secrets from me ? 

The more I got lost in my thoughts, the closer I got to the car. When I arrived near it, a black man dressed in a suit got out of the car. I turned down the volume of my music.

" Good evening sir ! Is everything alright ? We waited for You. Here, let me take your luggage. ", he said politely.

"No It's o-. "

He did not listen to me and took my suitcase. What did he say ? Did he say " We " ? Nevermind... Sigh ! I know it's his job but I don't like this. I don't like having people at my service. It makes me uncomfortable. So I went to the door and I started opening it but he shouted from the back of the car.

" Please Sir, let me open the door for you."

" No It's ok, I can open my own d-"

🎶# The music stopped.

I already told You. I remember everything, the car spot, the cold leather of the back seat, the landscape that the trip offered to my childhood eyes but If there was one thing I couldn't remember it was someone waiting for me in the car when I arrived.

My heart started to beat faster. Why does the music have to stop now ?

He was there.

He was there, looking at his phone, while listening to music through his earpieces. His dark brown curls were still as defined as in my memory. His head was moving gently to the rhythm of his music when suddenly, it stopped. I froze... again. He turned his head towards me. His face was way more angular than in my memories but it's him.

It was Lukas, Andrew's legitimate son.

Our eyes met. His light brown eyes did not change for a bit. I could briefly see the surprise on his face but it quickly disappeared. He now showed a jaded expression, like I care. No One talked , no One looked away. This interaction reminds me of why I didn't want to come back here anymore. Their family, it was their family that had destroyed mine. Every hour I heard my mother crying in her room alone,  every time she apologized for not being able to offer me an ideal family, it was their fault. Everything, everything was their fault. I hate them, I hate him. We just glared at each other until the driver interrupted this long silent discussion.

" Please sir. ", he said while showing me the interior of the car.

I complied and sat on the back seat near the window, leaving a big space between him and I. He just turned his head without saying a word.

Welcome to Brimberth Kijah.