09 - There are rules

KIJANI

KIJANI

"Kijani... It's been a long time.", Madeline said in a deceptively warm voice.

It took me a while to answer by nodding my head.

"Come, sit down."

I complied. Her voice, which was meant to be welcoming, didn't match the look she gave me. I sat down in front of Lukas.

"'Where have you been?",   she asked while she continued her meal.

"I-I...", I stuttered.

It was one of the few times, if not the only time, that she spoke to me directly. I was completely freaked out. Her pupils, which were literally focused on me, did not reassure me either. At the same time, Aunt Carmen brought the bread and placed it on the table.

"Mr. Kijani had gone for a run to stretch his legs but you can rest assured that he didn't get very far." Mrs. Garcia said.

All of a sudden, the atmosphere became frosty. Madeline stopped eating and glared at Aunt Carmen.

"I think he's big enough to talk by himself. Don't you think so? And I gave clear instructions. No one should leave this house without permission. Don't let it happen again ! "

There you go ! This is exactly Madeline Bowen. Mean, cruel, without any compassion for others. This is much more like her. At one point I almost believed her ridiculous show of the caring step-mother even though I knew it very well; she is nothing but contempt and malice, hence the nickname I gave her when I was younger, the Ice Queen. I let out a smile, a smile that didn't escape that damn fox 's radar.

Aunt Carmen nodded and walked away, smiling sadly at me. I'm only bringing her trouble...

"I won't say it twice. This house is not a circus. You have to be on your best behaviour. Both of you... and especially you Kijani. You just arrived and look, you're already hanging out outside I don't know where. You should take more of an example from Lukas. "

The perfect child almost choked on his drink. A satisfied smile formed on my face, which had the result of annoying him. I didn't know what was funnier, Lukas almost choking on a glass of orange juice or his crazy mother talking shit. I could not really hear what she was saying anymore. Lukas had started a staring game that I was not about to lose. I was about to ask him if he had a problem when his mother said:

" In this house, there are rules to respect Kijani. And the first one is to respect your parents ",  she said in an assertive voice.

That was too much for me. I simply burst out laughing. A nervous laugh of course. Who did she think she was ? My parentS ? Is she serious ? I only have one mother that raised me with all she had. Liliane Ngoy, she is my one and only parent. My beautiful and loving mother.

"What's so funny?", she asked dryly.

My mother was NOTHING like the woman in front of me.

I did not answer. I just wanted to leave this table as soon as I can. Lukas, I do not know how, guess what I wanted to do (I think) and nods his head from right to left in sign of disapproval. Like I care.

I just got up without worrying about what would happen next.

Madeline stopped eating and glared at me. It was like her blue pupils wanted to pierce me.

"One of the many rules of this house is to ask permission before getting up from the table."

It had been years since I had heard her and yet her voice still annoyed me just as much. I answered her curtly.

"And one of my mother's rules is don't fall for crap."

Madeline's eyes widened as her son almost choked on his food again. However, this time I think I heard a  muffled laugh.

I started walking towards the house when Madeline replied.

" You really are the spitting image of your mother. No respect, no manners, It makes us wonder whether you have received any education."

I stopped.

You know, there are times when you feel like something is cracking inside you, something that you've been holding on to for a long time and can't hold on anymore. That inexplicable feeling when a strong emotion is created deep within you and suddenly overwhelms you. Do you see this feeling ? That's exactly how I felt at that moment.

I turned around, carried away by a blind rage. How could she dare talk about my mother?

I was getting dangerously close to her when Lukas got up and stood in my way.

"Move!", I told him.

He remained silent, as usual. Bad idea ! I grabbed his shoulder and forced him to move... Or I tried. Oddly, it was not as simple as I imagined. He grabbed my arm and stayed as solid as a fucking rock. This bastard !

"I said move!" I yelled.

"You don't want her to be your enemy... trust me." Lukas whispered.

The volume of his voice took me by surprise. He spoked in a low voice so only I could hear him. What is he saying ?  I pushed him. At the same time, Madeline stood up.

"You're just proving my point," she said, while walking towards us.

Lukas moved to the side and she positioned herself a meter from me. Her glare full of disdain put me beside myself.

" What would your father say if he found out you wanted to raise your hands on your poor step-mother", she said in a falsely sad voice.

I took a step forward and was only a few inches away from her. Lukas was on guard.

"I would never hit an elderly person. My mother raised me well."

She wanted to retort but I did not give her the chance.

"And I'm stopping you right now. I don't consider you as a mother or as a member of my family. For me, you're just a stranger with whom I have to live with for a month. I am no longer the child that I used to be. I'm no longer interested in winning your sympathy. Your words no longer reach me."

She smiled.

"At least we have the same feeling for each other. That's already a good point."

She picked up her phone and checked something.

" Not again. "

She put her phone away and looked at me in the eyes.

" Your father will be back soon. Try to behave until then. You're not allowed to go out without permission."

For God's sake not Victor...This is all we needed...

She started walking and stopped right beside me. She looked me up and down and when she finished her sentence, I had goosebumps.

"And you will have to prepare yourself for the next events to come."

And she left towards her home.