Chapter 3

I flick through the slides I'm going to present to the board of directors

I flick through the slides I'm going to present to the board of directors. While I was able to avert a major crisis yesterday, these numbers continue to trend downward and my nerves aren't letting up. My mind shuffles through the outcomes for what feels like the hundredth time.

Scenario one (aka best case): The board of directors dish out words of encouragement. A 'Hang in there' or an 'It's not easy right now but you're doing great'. Or maybe even a 'You are perfectly amazing and smart, let's all hug it out' if we'd like to get creative.

Scenario two (aka worst case): I hear the 'We knew this would happen', the ever so eloquent, 'You idiot', and of course the perfectly charming, 'You're fired'.

If only I could just tell the board we're trying our best. But in my world there are no A's for effort. A's are reserved for money in their accounts. And a lot of it.

While I scan each data chart, I inaudibly recite the strategies I prepared.

You got this, Talia. Stay strong.

My stomach tightens as soon as I get the ping from my assistant.

Imani: The board is here. They're gathering in the conference room now and I've got the deck up and ready to go.

I take in a deep breath before typing out a response.

Talia: I'll be out in a sec. How are they looking? Angry? Annoyed? What's it giving?

Imani: Hmm...actually...it's giving thankful...or maybe even fortunate?

I furrow my brows.

Talia: What? What does fortunate look like?

Imani: I don't know. Maybe like...content? Like they just had a lovely bbq with friends and family and are cherishing the memories together.

My eyes widen. Content? I shoot up and quickly adjust my off-white blazer and slacks before making my way out of my office.

Imani's desk sits right outside and I give my assistant, with russet brown skin and long black hair, an amused look. "A lovely barbecue?"

A smirk paints Imani's face and her shoulders briefly reach for her ears. "It was the first thing that came to mind when I saw them. Now go on and slay, Queen Talia!"

I laugh and mouth a thank you before heading to the conference room. The sound of my black heels clicking against the concrete floors are like a ticking time bomb in the empty hallway. My pulse picks up speed when I see each board member taking their seat through the glass walls that surround the room.

The board consists of five men including the company founder and CEO, Bill. From what I can see, the men, who are dressed in suits of various shades of blue or black, are talking animatedly to each other. And there's also Cora, who's Bill's wife. The older woman in a white Chanel suit is the first to spot me coming toward them and gives me an 'I know something you don't know' type smile.