Chapter 44

Talia

"I'm sorry, but do you mind repeating that?" Heat radiated through Talia's chest and her hands tingled.

"You won, Talia! You got the CEO position." Bill and Cora beamed back at her. They were seated in front of Talia's desk, in her office.

"Oh, my God! I got it!" Her insides began vibrating as her pulse picked up speed. She shot up from her seat as her mind raced. Her smile faltered when Lucas came to mind. "And Lucas did well on his presentation? Did he look like he gave it his all?"

"Of course! It was such a tough decision and a very close call. You both had similar strategies but we ultimately decided you'd be the best person for the position with your skill set." Bill cleared his throat, stood up, and brought out his hand. "Amazing job, Talia. I'll be in touch with the transition details."

Talia's eyebrows raised. She hadn't known what to expect. A part of her wondered if Lucas would go back on his word and forfeit, but he didn't. She actually won this thing and would be the Chief Executive Officer of a multi-million dollar company. After shaking Bill's hand she settled back in her seat. Something twisted in her gut.

Once Bill exited, Talia turned to Cora who remained seated with a pensive look on her face. "Cora, you swear to me Lucas did a good job on his presentation? Like he didn't try to sabotage his chances of getting it or anything?"

"Why does it matter, Talia?"

"I need to have won this fair and square."

"Why?"

"Because I need to know that I controlled this outcome."

"Does it matter if you controlled the outcome or not? You forget that when you got back on your feet twelve years ago, I handed you a job when everyone else rejected you. You had zero control over my decision and yet you still took the position."

"That's different. You saw something in me because of my experience. Because of what I'd done."

Cora shook her head slowly. Talia had never seen the woman look so melancholic before, with her relaxed posture and shallow sighs. "I saw a woman with ambition. It could have been any woman, but you fell on my doorstep."

Talia's lips shifted to the side. "Well, whatever. Please just tell me. Did Lucas really do a good job?" Her skin prickled as Cora sighed.

"I swear to you, Talia. Lucas did an amazing job on his presentation. The way that man speaks and carries himself is truly unlike anyone I've ever seen."

Talia's palms grew slightly damp, and she shifted in her seat, picturing Lucas. She thought about his reaction to losing the competition. And then her stomach clenched as she thought about how Charles reacted when the board made the decision.

"You have the same look Lucas had, you know?"

Talia's gaze came back into focus. "What look?"

"Sadness."

Talia straightened her back, hoping it would help stuff down the feelings that had been swirling through her for the past couple of weeks. In addition to sadness, there had also been a constant cycle of anger, bitterness, and guilt.