Chapter 37

The Internship Interview,
About 15 Years Ago

Lucas

The Talia that was just here was unlike the Talia he'd met at the Christmas party. This girl who was competing against him for this interview was like a wound-up version, ready to explode at any minute. Too bad she turned out to be rude and self-centered. Lucas figuratively patted himself on the back for missing that bullet. Besides, if anything had happened between them at the Christmas party it would've made this situation of competing for a job extremely awkward.

"I'm assuming you're here for the interview too. Name?" The young, blonde receptionist who had kindly offered her sweater to Talia asked.

"Yeah. Lucas Handler."

"Have you right here," she said as she clicked away on her computer. "You're early but I'll let the hiring manager know you're in." She smiled widely when their eyes met and then her gaze scanned over him.

"Thanks," Lucas responded before leaning over the desk. "Hey, that was really nice of you to lend your sweater to the other candidate."

The woman's cheeks turned pink before she smiled even wider. "Oh, it was nothing. The poor girl looked like a train wreck." Her eyes moved over him again before she added, "It's just what I like to do sometimes, give to those in need."

Lucas reciprocated her smile and for a moment wondered if he should talk to this woman some more. She seemed kind, was pretty to look at, and her eyes twinkled as she grinned at him. But he quickly shook the thought away. Normally he would stay and flirt, but he needed to get his head in the game before this interview. If he didn't get the job, his dad would lose his mind and Lucas wouldn't hear the end of it.

Before Lucas turned around, the receptionist spoke again. "So, Handsome, aren't you going to ask for my number?"

Lucas tilted his head back briefly before a smile found its way back to his lips again. He didn't even need to flirt. This woman knew what she wanted and went for it. She did seem a little on the desperation side, but he figured he was just reading into it. "I wanted to but I thought maybe there'd be a conflict of interest if I did."

She giggled. "Yeah, you're right. So I guess we'll have to wait and see if you get the job then."

"I guess I'll have to be on my best behavior if a pretty girl's number is at stake."

The smile from her face vanished and she stood up to match Lucas' eyeline. "I hope you get the job, Lucas."

Her sudden seriousness made Lucas' eyebrow shoot up for a moment. He glanced at her nameplate. "I hope so too, Gina," he said before stepping back and making his way over to his seat.

He began running through his notes, making sure he would be able to answer any question that came his way. A few minutes later, a clicking of heels sound from down the hall made him look up. Talia was walking back from the bathroom, seeming to be in much better spirits with smoothed-out hair, completed makeup, and lighter steps. He quickly looked back at his notes and tried to focus, despite the butterflies erupting in his stomach sensing her approach. What is with me? Focus, Lucas.

After a few minutes, Talia marched toward him clanging on about some missing packet. While her bark didn't scare him, his toes curled in annoyance at the strong accusations she was making against him. Still, a part of him felt bad for her. What would the others in this office think about her yelling at another candidate? "I told you, I don't have it! Now calm down, or someone's going to kick you out."

Talia bit her lip and began searching all of the cushions nearby. Lucas was about to start moving to help her look but she turned around quickly and stormed up to him. "Fuck you! You'd like that wouldn't you?" she said before sprinting back down the hall.