Chapter 23

The finance lesson turned out to be just as much fun as the dance lesson

The finance lesson turned out to be just as much fun as the dance lesson. Plus, I didn't have to feel like an idiot during it. Finance is my wheelhouse whereas dancing is Ninth Grade Breakdance Phase Lucas' wheelhouse. Maybe I should have tried the worm? That impressed the girls at prom all those years ago.

Even though I sucked at dancing, I sure as hell didn't mind the cute grins and laughter coming out of Talia. She grew more visibly relaxed as the dance practice went on and little sparks of joy shot off every time she'd lean into my arms.

While the finance lesson unfortunately had a lot less physical touching, it was a dance in its own way. When one of us led a move, the other would follow suit and add their own spin to it and vice versa. Talia started with the six steps to building wealth and I added examples and testimonies of friends who, for example, had gotten out of debt or were able to maximize their investments.

Some of the girls shared more about their upbringing and the challenges they had to go through in life financially, which honestly took me aback. I've never seen a group this size talk so openly and honestly about their struggles in life to each other. I've also never seen a group of adults this size know so little about finance and managing their money.

There were points in the conversation where I felt guilty. Guilty for growing up wealthy, clearly seeing the next step in life, and being able to align myself to take that step with confidence. Yet, for most of these women, it's as if the lights are out and they can't find the stairs. Maybe some would take the next step by chance. But others might soon fall smack down on their face if they don't manage to find a way to turn the light on quickly. Why do we live in a society that doesn't teach this stuff to everyone? It always baffled me, but now, after hearing these women speak, it's even more baffling.

Getting into finance was an easy option for me. My dad founded the company when I was young and it was a no-brainer to follow in his footsteps. And when I got older, I started to enjoy the amount of power and clout that came with being in the industry. Plus, when I'm able to work hard and implement strategy without my dad's micromanaging, the results always made it worth it. That feeling when you work until your fingers are about to fall off, and then see one comma on the balance sheet turn into two and then three is addictive, to say the least.

The girls disperse after the lesson ends. I stay to discuss the session with Talia, and we talk for a while about what resonated the most with the girls and joke about how Maria needs to learn how to use a filter.

"By the way, thanks for doing this. I know you didn't have to, and it means a lot to," Talia pauses before adding, "the girls."

I nod and a smile tugs at my lips. "Why do you do it?"

"Do what?"

"These lessons outside of work."

Her mouth moves to the side before she speaks. "These girls are like family to me. We've been together for a couple of years now, and that's just how it's been. When someone needs help, we just help, no questions asked. Plus, I wasn't really around many girls growing up. It was just my dad and two brothers. So they're like the sisters I never had."