Chapter Eleven

When we get into the house, I set my things down on the floor by the door and walk into the living room. It's only 3:00 so I know Elijah won't be home yet, and Emilio told me not to expect Alessandro around much. Francesco had to make a run the moment he made sure I got into the house, the only person I can see here is Carlo, and I can hear Xander in the kitchen. I assume Emilio is upstairs somewhere.

I stand awkwardly behind the couch, unsure of where to go, "Come on, sit down," Carlo shrugs, moving aside.

"No, that's okay," I say.

"Maddie, come on, I was watching it with Emilio but he had work which apparently is more important than his dear little brother but that's neither here nor there," He waves off.

I almost smile a little before sitting beside him on the couch, "What do you want to watch?" He asks.

I don't want to say something he isn't interested in and make him tired of spending time with me right now, especially since he's the only non-rude brother that I haven't really talked to, "It doesn't matter, I have a wide range."

He clicks on Disney+ and turns on the new Marvel show. Internally, I'm happy he chose this, and I don't unglue my eyes from the screen the entire time. And by the end of it, we're both just staring at the credits wide eyed.

"Jesus," Carlo says breathlessly. He turns to me, "Wait, so basically—" I guess he's assuming I haven't watched anything Marvel before. But I'm too busy forming a theory in my head. Marvel tends to turn me into a critical thinker.

I realize I've began rambling on about theories and my face flushes, I don't really get into Marvel around other people because nobody is really as into it as I've been lately. Not even Jess or Chase, and I fear my obsession makes me annoying.

"But would that make sense?" Carlo says, I can see the wheels turning in his head.

I don't think he could physically understand how happy it makes me that he's joining in instead of criticizing me or calling me annoying.

"I don't know," I say, tilting my head to the side. I do this when I think, it's a subconscious thing.

A small smirk plays at Carlo's expression. "What?" I say confused.

He pinches my cheek, "You're adorable." I slap his hand away, "Stop, no I'm not," I say firmly.

"You're like a little kitten," He says, reaching over again.

I throw myself as far away as possible, "Are you calling me an animal?" I exclaim.

"No, I'm calling you adorable, look at your little adorable face and your adorable pink clothes," He says.

"Carlo," I whine.

He surrenders, "Alright, alright, I'll stop," But the look on his face lets me know he won't stop, "Do you want to watch Infinity War or Endgame?"

I consider, "Infinity War." 

As he puts the movie on, I walk to the kitchen to grab something to drink.

"She's your little sister," I hear Emilio scold.

"Who care what she is?! She doesn't belong here!" Francesco's voice adds.

My heart stops.

"You can't really think it's a good idea bringing her in, can you?" Xander adds, "It's fucking dangerous. This isn't the place for a 13 year old girl—"

"She needs her brothers," Emilio said, "We're the only immediate family she has left, and instead of pushing her away, why don't you try to—"

"No, she needs help. She's already broken, and she doesn't need to be here. You're not getting it, Emilio?" 

"Would you rather she stay with Elena and Daniel?" Emilio challenges.

"It doesn't matter where she stays. So long as it's anywhere but here."

My heart drops to my feet and it's as if I can't breath.

I can't explain why somewhere in the back of my mind I thought my mind was in overdrive, just paranoid thinking that they didn't want me here.

Hearing them confirm it only sends me into a downward spiral. I expected it from Xander, but up until now, I'd assumed Francesco was just cold towards everyone. It was a stupid way to think, it was foolishly optimistic. I wanted so badly to be thankful toward Emilio for defending me, but I couldn't move past the words the others were saying.

"You used to cry because you wanted her back so badly! What happened to that?! What happened to the Francesco who wanted his little girl back so badly he blamed himself every day, who played with her every day, what happened to that?"

My breath stops as I await his response.

"Yeah, well she's not the same little girl she was all those years ago."

My heart drops further if that's even possible.

He didn't have to say that, it was something I already knew. He sounds so defeated, so broken. And the sad part is that I understand too well. He wanted what was familiar, he wanted what he knew, he thought he was being given a bright eyed perfect Italian little girl. Instead he got a broken, barely Italian orphan who lies and talks back and cuts people off. Instead he got me.

And it hurts even more that it's my fault he feels that way.

"I'm sorry," I manage softly.

All three pairs of eyes dart over to where I'm standing in the doorway with my eyes cast to the floor, "Maddie—" Emilio begins.

I turn out of the kitchen and walk into the living room. If they feel that way, I can't help but feel like I'm bothering Carlo. He would feel guilty leaving me here to watch the movie by myself so he's staying out of pity. "I'm actually feeling a little tired, maybe we can watch tomorrow?" I offer shakily.

He glances up at me from his phone, "Are you sure? Is it your ribs? I think you can have a painkiller, you had one before you left right?" He says, glancing at the time on his phone.

"No, it's not my ribs, I'm just tired, thanks though."

I leave before he can stop me again, before I can say too much and push him further away.

I've been burned so many times, I could never be even a piece of who I was before.

I'm broken. No matter how had I try, I'll always be tainted. What's done was done, and it will always haunt me. No matter who loves me or who doesn't, who wants to love me and wants me to love them, my past will always be there.

And it's now I realize that I'll never be the same. 

And that's what hurts me the most.