Chapter Sixty-One

The next morning when we're back home in New York, I'm waken up painfully early. 6:30am on a Sunday morning, Elijah is standing by my bed in his coat, "Wake up, we're gonna take a trip."

I sit up tiredly, rubbing my eyes, "Where are we going?"

"It's a surprise, get dressed in something warm and comfortable."

An hour later after I eat breakfast, Elijah and I are finally on the road on the way to this surprise destination. The sun has risen as we pull up into the parking lot where there are about 15 other cars. "Where are we?" I ask s I climb out. Elijah gives me a secretive grin, "You'll see."

I feel a familiar chill when we walk inside. It's really nice inside, the floors are pale brown rustic hardwood but despite the clearly intentional vintage look, it was clearly very expensive. There's a pretty woman sitting at a sleek receptionist desk, she gives us a kind smile, "'Morning!"

"Good morning," I say absently, looking around.

The further in we get the colder it gets, just as Elijah is opening a large grey double door, I see a flyer on it.

Central Skating Rink: Hockey tryouts

My eyes light up, "Oh my God!" Then I see the rink! "Oh my God!!"

This is hands down the nicest rink I've ever been to. There are about 20 girls on the bleachers, getting ready in gear.

"You like it?" Elijah asks. I nod almost in awe, still wide-eyed gazing at the rink. Who I assume is the coach walks over to us. She's about 5'7 and slim, her hair is chestnut and pulled back into a ponytail, "You must be Mr. Rossi," She says, "Which makes you Madison?"

I nod, "Maddie is fine," I say.

"Because the tryouts are over, you'll tryout here at practice, we won't be testing you out on your skating abilities and we'll have to throw you straight in. You're good, you're on the team, got it?" She asks.

I nod, nervously.

"Alright then. Let me grab your gear. Sizes?"

"8 and a half," I say, "Size 10 glove. XS everything else."

"I'm nervous," I say to Elijah once the coach walks away.

"You haven't played before?" He asks.

"I have, but I'm not that good at it," I say softly, "Left wing is important of course, but that's all I'm good at."

"You'll do fine," He reassures me.

"Rossi, your stuff."

"Good luck," Elijah says, placing a kiss on the top of my head. "Thank you," I say giving him a quick hug.

I walk over to the area where the other girls are and start gearing up.

"Who are you?" One of the black haired girls says.

"Um...Maddie," I say.

"How come you didn't have to tryout, Coach just let you play?" Another girl says, narrowing her eyes. Her hair is shoulder-length and a sandy brown color.

"Oh um..." I say, "I am trying out but, I just..."

"How long have you been skating? I've been skating since I was 4."

"Um...Maybe 3 years total?"

There was a lot of time where I had to keep stopping, Jess's parents paid for my skating tuition when I did play, but between injuries and everything that came with living with mom and Daniel, I didn't get to play as much as I wanted to.

"Hm," The girl says. Before they all turn back toward each other to finish their conversation.

Well.

Elijah's POV:

When they finally get into their skates and on, and Coach Blair splits them into 2 teams of 8, and I don't know what to expect from Maddie.

Sandro told me to arrange this for Madison after we found out about her inherited interest in skating, similar to our mother, and I assumed she's be good, but when she gets on the ice...

Speed is clearly one of her strongest assets. As well as her advanced thinking and strategy. I don't watch hockey, but I can tell she's a hell of a player.

I can see Coach Blair lighting up every time Maddie makes it into the net. When she flicks the hockey stick underneath the puck, sending it straight into the net, even a few of the parents cheer.

Finally, the coach blows the whistle, ending the game, Maddie walks off the ice in her skates, pulling off her helmet and unsticking some of the sweaty hair from her face. Her cheeks are flushed and her nose is red. It's adorable.

Coach Blair walks over to her with a grin, "Rossi, you're on the team. I'll email you the details later. Girls, short practice today, you're free to go."

Maddie's POV:

I'm shocked when I make the team. I didn't think I'd get it, considering I haven't played in a while.

I walk over to Elijah, sitting on the bleacher beside him as I take off my skates.

"Oh my God, Maddie, you did amazing," Elijah says.

I grin, "Really?"

"Seriously!"

"Thanks," I say, that warms me up inside.

I notice the girls standing in a tight huddle by the bleachers. I heard them talking about going to brunch this morning. They're so tight-knit is admirable. They're laughing to each other and pushing each other with wide eyes in a way that says that they have inside jokes.

"I'm gonna go talk to the coach, I'll be back in a bit, alright?"

"Alright," I say, looking back down and sliding my white converses on and lacing them up.

I stand up, grabbing my brand new bag of equipment and getting ready to leave. "Madison, wait!"

I look over. The girl with the sandy brown hair from earlier hurries over, waving her hand high above her head as if to confirm the fact that she's the one who called me. She stops in front of me, "Hey, I'm Claire. A few of our parents are taking us to Lamplight Diner for breakfast if you want to come. Your brother can come, our parents usually just sit with each other."

I smile a little, "Sure, I'll ask my brother."

She gives me an easy grin, "Great, we'll see you there."

Once she walks away, I walk over to Elijah as quickly as I can while looking not too eager, he's staring at something on his phone, "Elijah?" I say.

"Hm?"

"A few of the girls are going out for breakfast. They invited me, can we go?" I ask anxiously.

"Sure."