Returning Home

Ruby's pov

I felt a bit bad for leaving (y/n) behind but we had to return to the dream. we saw him walk away and I held out my hand.

Ruby: Ready?

Everyone nodded as we all returned to the dream. We arrived and saw the chaos around us. Bodies of dead hunters littered the ground.

Pyrrha: What happened to all these people?

Ruby: I don't know? We have to keep going.

We ran past the bodies and saw the workshop in flames. That's when we saw a hunter drop to the fall down the hill. I ran over and saw a large gash on his neck.

Ruby: What did this?

I returned to the other and we saw Gehrman sitting in his chair holding a large scythe like the (y/n) owned.

Ruby: What are you...

Gehrman: I'm performing mercy on these poor souls. Many resisted.

Weiss: This is madness! We need to end this nightmare!

Gehrman: They can only see they can end the night, is to die and awaken from the dream.

I didn't know what to do. I tried to think of ways to progress when Mercury stepped up.

Mercury: I want this nightmare to end.

Gehrman: Kneel down and close your eyes.

Mercury got on his knees and closed his eyes as the old man rose from his chair. He gripped his scythe and raised it in the air.

Gehrman: When you awake, it would all feel like one bad dream.

In one swift action, Gehrman killed Mercury. We watched as his body hit the floor and the old man pushed him to the side.

Gehrman: Who's next?

We all stepped back, scared of the abilities this old hunter is capable of.

Gehrman: It doesn't matter if you refuse, I'll deliver you from this terrible hunter's dream. One way or another.

Weiss walked up to the old hunter.

Ruby: What are you doing?!

Weiss: Look, I like (y/n) but I'm not staying here any longer! I'm tired and want this nightmare to end!

Pyrrha walked next to Weiss.

Ruby: You too?

Pyrrha: If this is just a dream, that means that tomorrow will be back to normal. No more of the hunt, no more of this dream...

Blake stepped up too.

Blake: I like (y/n) as well but I would've loved to have been with him under different circumstances.

Ruby: So what? You're just going to give up that easily?

Weiss: We're tired! We haven't gotten any proper sleep in hours! This night feels like it's gone on for almost a year! I want out!

Ruby: Well I'm not backing down without a fight!

Pyrrha: Go ahead.

They each got done in front of Gehrman and were quickly killed too. Gehrman finally looked at me.

Gehrman: Why do you want to fight?

Ruby: What?

Gehrman: I thought you wanted to end the dream?

Ruby: I want to end the hunt permanently! That's what I want!

Gehrman: How noble. Sadly, it will all be in vain...

The old hunter stood up and gripped his scythe. I readied crescent rose and prepared to fight the old man.

Gehrman: You have your mother's spirit. A stubborn young woman.

He lunged at me and I quickly dodged back to avoid it.

Gehrman: A quick one.

He quickly swung his scythe at me but I quickly caught his blade with mine.

Gehrman: Submit. There's no use fighting.

He quickly stepped back and readied a charge. I quickly changed weapons to the blades of mercy. He charged at me and I quickly used my semblance to move behind him and began to attack him with my sword. He quickly turned around and cut me with his scythe. I felt the wound and it felt deeper than anything a beast has hit me with.

Gehrman: Please stop. You're only prolonging your death.

I held my wound and felt tears welling up from the pain. I grabbed my scythe and immediately charged.

(y/n)'s pov

I touched the lamp and returned to the dream. That's when I saw the workshop on fire and my friends were all dead.

(y/n): Who did this?

I began to get scared and ran towards the workshop. That's when I saw Ruby and master Gehrman fighting and the bodies of Weiss, Blake, Mercury, and Pyrrha on the ground. Ruby fell on her knees and dropped her scythe.

Gehrman: You are tired. Just give up.

Ruby: Fine. I guess I'll wake up.

Gehrman quickly sliced her neck and she fell down, dead. I began to feel a mix of confusion and anger.

(y/n): Why?!

Gehrman: I'm simply delivering them from this hunter's dream. Through death, they will forget the dream and awaken to the morning sunlight.

(y/n): You're insane...

Gehrman: This isn't Insanity. This was how I freed your mother. I felt bad taking her from you. A boy like you needed their mother.

(y/n): So what? You're just going to kill me?

Gehrman: Yes. You will join them in the morning. You will live a normal life. Free from your curse...

My curse...I can die like normal? At that moment, I felt conflicted. Should I take his offer, or should I fight back and get revenge for my friends and sister? That's when I sensed the cord in my back pocket. I took it out and felt it calling to me again. Calling me to eat it.

Submit your life: continue to the next chapter

Refuse: skip the next chapter

Eat the last cord: skip ahead 2 chapters