1. "This wasn't supposed to happen!"

Hey 👋
Thank you for clicking, because Jax 4 life
You can pick your own character form I guess, as so to not make it feel restricted (unlike the circus)
Happy reading!!

—————

"You ready?" The operator asked me. I made a few adjustments to the VR headset in my hands. It was sleek and brand new, light reflecting off its shiny black surface.

"Yep." I replied. They pulled a lever on a panel, and the headset buzzed to life. I took a deep breath and lifted it up to my head.

'The Amazing Digital Circus' had been released years ago, though I had just heard of it now. None of my friends and family knew of it, it was just my sorry ass stumbling across it in a shop window one day. The advertisement had looked goofy and wacky, with a heckton of bright colors. It almost looked like a kids' video game. But I wanted to try it anyway.

Here I was, the moment of truth.

The VR headset fitted snugly on my head. The words 'Amazing Digital Circus!" appeared on screen.

"Um, just a question - do I just take this off to get -"

Suddenly, the sounds of the world around me shut off, leaving me floating in a black stretch of space with the words 'Amazing Digital Circus' in front of me. Then a deafening whooshing sound began roaring as I felt myself being pulled into blinding white light.

Colors and shapes popped into existence as the whooshing shut off abruptly. Loud, wacky music played all around me. This was deeply disturbing.

    WHAT IS GOING ON?? I screamed in my head, looking around wildly. I hated this. I wanted out.

The wacky theme song was apparently introducing cast characters, and all of them were humanoid cartoonish figures. Panic set in me and I looked down at my body.

    "HOLY SH-*bleep*!" A black rectangle appeared on my mouth then disappeared. Now I'm not allowed to god damn swear?!

And I had been turned into a cartoon figure too.

A tall purple bunny figure had emerged from the side of the stage, apparently having completed his intro. I think his name was Jax; I did arrive in time to hear some of the theme song. He had yellow eyes, and a cocky grin on his face. It doubled when we locked eyes. This asshole-

Another girl seemed to have also appeared into the virtual reality the same time as I did. She wore a jester's outfit and had a pale face and brown hair. She seemed as frustrated as I was.

The jaunty song went on for a while before the jester girl bumped into the bunny, which caused a chain reaction. The music fizzled out and stopped.

I tore my eyes away from the weird bunny and reached to take off my headset. This was too much for me. But when I touched my face, my fingers felt skin. The headset had completely disappeared.

    "W - What?" I clawed at my face. "Where is it?!"

It seemed like the other girl was having the same problems as me.
    "How do I take this headset off?" She said, panicking.

I growled, increasing my efforts to locate a nonexistent headset.

"Just keep grabbing at it, that worked for all of us," Jax said cockily, smirking at me.

"Then how do I take it off!?" I snapped at him.

"Well, you can't. You, and her -" he gestured at the other girl - " are stuck here like us."

Jax walked closer and scrutinized me, yellow eyes glinting, looking down at me from his damn 6'2 height.

    "Though you seem like a pretty fun person to tease, hot stuff." I glared at him, offended.

The other girl was having a heated conversation with a doll figure called Ragatha, if I'm correct, and a weird floating dude with a mouth head and eyes in between the jaws.

    "Now now, no foul language!" He reprimanded the jester girl when she tried to swear. The stupid black rectangle always appeared over her mouth when she tried. "The circus is meant for all ages!"

    "Oi!" I yelled. "Mouth-head! You the owner of this place or something? Send me back!" I refused to believe that purple asshole.

He looked confused.
    "Huh?"

    "I told you, you can't leave," Jax grinned. Another figure sighed behind him. It was Zooble, the colorful guy.

    "Shut up, Jax. But yeah, you can't leave. Welcome to your new home. And your new body." Despite their aloof expression, they sent a sympathetic glance my way.

I scanned my stupid cartoon body. No no no NOOO, this cannot be happening.

    "Ughhhh, why - this wasn't supposed to happen!" I raked my fingers through my h/c hair, and tried to think logically, putting on a shaky unconvincing smile.

Edging closer to the jester girl, I took a deep breath.
    "Righttt - this is a damn dream. All a dream. I fell asleep in the headset and am going to wake up anyyy second now."

    "Yeah!" Jester girl joined in. "Just a dream. I should just play along until I wake up, right?"

I nodded at her.

Jax snorted.
    Whatever you say, kid." He turned to me. "All tooootally a dream. I hope you wake up soon." He did finger guns and tapped his foot absentmindedly on the floor.

—————

Published 16/8/2023.
It's 10pm lol
I hope u guys like this - thnx again for clicking on this.
~opalico