4BA. "Don't give up."

NOTICES

The last chapter linked to the TADC powers AU.

Ultimate fluff + cuddles + ultra rare moment of Jax blushing

And guys it's 20th November rn where I am and it's my BIRTHDAY AAAAA
Happy birthday to meee
I'm finally fifteennnn
Happy birthday happy birthday
Happy birthday to meee

—————

Caine had warned us to always stay alert once we ventured out from the dorms corridor. He said that he had programmed a barrier around that section of the Circus so that the mannequins couldn't get in.

After all the corrupted mannequins had been defeated by our combined efforts, there was a thunderous creaking as the Tent suddenly tipped sideways.

Me and Jax had to hold onto each other and hang onto a support beam to avoid being knocked off by falling objects.

Caine had fortunately fixed his code in time to steady the Tent and restore everything to order, but apparently he had a whole fucking army of mannequins in storage that had also corrupted and were scattered around the Tent.

Zooble's wing was fixed and they paired up with Gangle to act as a duo, since Gangle could sense the crackling of corrupted mannequins before they actually came face to face to them. Pomni tagged along with them in case anything bad happened so she could be backup.

Ragatha and Kinger were inseparable and were a dynamic duo after the battle.

Which meant that I was stuck with Jax. Not that I minded anymore.

I, like all the other people in the Circus, had developed a sharp edge of survival that enhanced our wariness and gut feeling.

Jax was a little more bearable, since we had to fight off so much mannequins each day. He toned down the jokes and lessened his pranks to a minimum. We all traveled in pairs because if we weren't Gangle, corrupted mannequins could sneak up on us at any given moment.

Caine had found a door in the Circus that if we went through it, it would lead us to the source of where all the corrupted code was being controlled. But corrupted mannequins burst out of it everyday, and we couldn't figure out the patterns until now.

At exactly 8 in the morning, the mannequins stopped coming out for about five minutes, providing a small window into the dangerous domain.

We had to go through and fight with everything we had in hand, unless we wanted to be destroyed by mindless mannequin zombies.

I was currently huddled in my room, shivering at the thought of literally barging into potential death. But we had to do it unless we wanted to live with the corrupted mannequins forever.

A tinkling clink of a key being inserted into my door half-snapped me out of my nervous reverie. I staggered to my feet, still half-dazed, and raised my hand to bitch slap the person who dared enter my room.

Jax cuffed my wrist with his hand before it reached his unusually concerned face.

    "I know that look, hot stuff. What's wrong?" He added more gently.

I couldn't stand to look at him. The fact that in a few hours we could all be dead flashed into my mind and I felt sick. I didn't want to tell him I cared.
Because he could make fun of me, given the nervous, close-to-the-edge state of mind we were almost always in. And I wasn't about to sacrifice my dignity for that.