4C. "Choosing the masks over me?"

NOTICES

Just found out that a dude in my tutor class also knows TADC and we had an argument about whether Pomni or Gangle was better (he worships them both) and he thinks Jax is overrated lmao

Requested by @Servalcat1234

Sorry if it's a bit short since I mainly emphasized on them arguments :3

And YOU GUYS ARE CRAZY TY FOR 18k READS I LOVE YOU ALL 😭❤️🙏

—————

A fire-ice pang shuddered through me as I stared at Gangle in disbelief.

"You lost THAT MUCH masks?"

She shrugged, fiddling with the colored origami paper in her ribbon hands.

"It's only the comedy masks that get broken. The tragedy one never chips or cracks or anything."

"So the comedy masks are more fragile than the sad one hidden beneath?" I asked.

Gangle nodded.

"Yes, that's about it."

Me and Gangle were lounging in the middle of the Tent. She had offered to teach me origami. Paper butterflies, cranes, jumping frogs and beetles were littered all around us, each a quiet pastel color.

Gangle had fortunately found a ready-made mask in her room after the gloink incident, so she was peaceful and happy. She sat cross-legged on the checkered floor, carefully placating and folding each stubborn piece of paper into fragile origami animals.

    "It's mostly... uhm, Jax who breaks my masks. It's because of those pranks he plays," Gangle said.

    "I've already threatened him with a murder attempt," I said confidently. "If he dares break this one, I will not hesitate to drag him by his stupid prissy pink overalls and fling him from the top of the Tent."

    "Hear, hear." Gangle laughed.

Ragatha joined us a few minutes later, mostly because Jax was now terrorizing her room with rubbery copies of centipedes.
They weren't real, since no one knew what kind of godforsaken code and programming that would take to make living digital copies of those bugs unless they asked Caine, but I knew that Jax wasn't really the type of person to ask for help. He played by his own rules.

Ragatha then left a couple hours later, probably to complain to Caine about Jax.

We chatted and laughed until it was evening, since the lights had started to dim and Bubble popped into existence to give us some glowing lanterns.

    "It's a new feature Caine wants to test, since it's just a little while before Christmas," Bubble explained cheerfully. She spun playfully for a few times before vanishing.

We entered the dorms corridor and found Jax lurking around with his own lantern.

    "You look awfully suspicious right now," I said archly. "If I were you, I would lock myself in my room and hope nothing bad happens to me."

    "Don't jump to conclusions, hot stuff," he countered airily. " 'Sides, I'm here waiting for you guys to come so I can do this."

He strode towards us and faked a trip.

    "Oh noooooo, whoops-" Jax knocked into Gangle, who tried dodging out of the way at the last second but failed. Her comedy mask flew off her face and shattered into pieces with a ceramic ring echoing off the walls.

My eye twitched. It was time to make this threat come true. I stalked towards Jax, deathly calm.

     "Do you remember what would happen if you hurt her again?" I growled. "Guess it's REVENGE TIME, B*BLEEP*!"

I ran towards him, screaming. Jax ran away towards the dorms entrance, also screaming hysterically.

    "You f*bleep*king suck!" I yelled.

    "I was bored!" Jax threw that comment over his shoulder.

    "That's not an excuse!"

    "It is, hot stuff!"

    "Rubbery bunny boy!"

    "Short hothead!"

I continued yelling profanities and obscenities at him, us all the while climbing higher and higher in the Tent. I finally managed to corner him on the highest platform of all.

We had a small scuffle before I kicked his ass off the platform.

    "AAAAAAAEEEAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh-" a pitiful thud was heard after a few seconds.

We technically couldn't get hurt, but I peered over the platform anyway. The purple idiot was sprawled on the floor.

I grinned and started to climb down.

———

    "That piece - over there."

     "Oh, thanks." Gangle smiled tearily.

It had been a few days after flinging Jax to his doom, and it was spent on trying to make new masks for Gangle.

Jax popped up several times just to tempt me to engage in friendly banter, but I refused until on the fourth day he apologized to Gangle.

    "No, I'm not talking to you until Gangle's masks are finished." I said even before Jax spoke.

    "Come onnn hot stuff, it's been four days. You're choosing the masks over me? That's surely enough fixing." Jax complained. I gestured to the broken mask I was trying to fix in front of me with a 'No shit, Sherlock' face.

    "This is no fun at all." Jax pulled me up and tugged me along.

    "What are you doing?"

    "Not letting you go until I hear that bantering voice of yours."

    "I f*bleep*king hate you!" Jax let go of my arm and winked.

    "Much better."