2. "I'll admit it... nice name."

"Sooo Caine, we having an adventure today for the newbies or what?" Jax said, sheepishly stepping out of the way of Gangle's broken mask after I shot him a death stare.

    "I'd like give our brand new members a tour of the circus grounds first!" Caine violently swished his baton. He zoomed down and grabbed me and jester girl's arms. A split second later, we warped midair to a bird's eye view of the whole circus grounds.

    "This is the Tent! Where your living quarters are, as well as all sorts of other activities. This may include:" Caine zoned out as me and jester girl glanced at each other uneasily. Caine might just be the most weirdest and wacky AI I had met so far.

Caine took us to the Grounds, which looked like a normal theme park except on a floating island in the middle of nowhere. If this wasn't more proof of no escape, I don't know now.

I should have never went to that convention center, I cursed myself. This is what happens when you have no knowledge of a place, dumbass.

I got yanked out of my thoughts into blinding white light.

    "This is the VOID!" Caine's voice echoed endlessly. "We don't venture out into the void." His voice turned mysterious and even more echoey. "Not even I know what's out there. We stay -"

I felt a yank on the back of my neck and we were back, hovering over the circus grounds.

    "We stay right here!" Caine turned cheery again.

    "Dude, stop with the quick warping," I complained. "My head hurts and she looks like she's about to be sick."

Jester girl was clutching onto my arm, paler than before. But then, her eyes widened and she gasped, pointing.

    "Wait, what's that -"

I turned my head to look, but another sickening lurch brought us back into the Tent. Jester girl staggered then puked onto the floor, clutching her stomach.

    "Woah, cleanup on aisle you," Bubble popped out of Caine's hat and started licking up the vomit, which I found disgusting and Caine seemed to think so too.

I wasn't so lucky. I got flung to the side, lost my footing, and tumbled into someone's arms. My head was reeling and I had to close my eyes unless I wanted to be sick.

    "If you're done being a damsel in distress, can you fricking move??" Jax let go of my shoulders the moment I opened my eyes. "Finally. Now get off."

I stumbled to my feet, battling his aloof smirk with a full-on glare.
    "Why are you being so b*Bleep*chy, huh? No 'are you okay' and all that sh*bleep*. You don't get a thank you."

    "You're welcome, hot stuff." Jax grinned even wider. "Okay, found the nickname you hate the most. I'm gonna now use this on you every time we meet."

I rolled my eyes.
    "Ugh, f*bleep* off."

A little ways from us, jester girl had regained her balance.

    "Wait, wait - was that an exit door I saw out there? Is that a way to leave?"

    "What exit?" Jax snapped off one of Zooble's arms and used it as a back scratcher. "If there was a way to leave I'm pretty sure we would have all left by now."

Zooble choked Jax with their arm and he choke-yelped, falling to the ground. I didn't bother hiding my giggles.

    "Yeah, what are you talking about?" They asked her.

    "I assure you there is no magical exit door. It's all digital hallucinations!"

Caine zoned out again then flew to the middle of the Tent.

    "How about we talk about something else? Like your names!"

I yelped as I was yanked to the center next to jester girl.

"Uh, my name? My name is uhm..." I was about to say it loud and clear but my tongue didn't pronounce the word. "My name is... is.. I forgot my name!" What was happening?! Existential crisis for real -

"Why can't I remember my name?!" Jester girl panicked.

"One of the few things people don't remember is their name when they enter. That's what I don't have control over - your minds. All I can help you with is coming up with a new one."

A name spinner clanged next to us.

Jester girl went first. It took a couple of tries, but her new name was Pomni.

I went next. It took only one spin for a name that suited me.

"What do you think of - Y/N ?"

"Yeah.. sure. I don't care." As long as I find a way to get out of here, I chanted in my mind.

"Hmmm.. Y/n.. not as classy as Jax but I'll roll with it. But I'll admit it.. nice name." Jax mused.

"I'm having an existential crisis and you make fun of my new name?"

"Yes, hot stuff."

—————
Published 18/8/2023.
Another chapter definitely coming soon.
Slayed my bio test.

~opalico