Chapter 2: History Repeats Itself

Youjin Kinoshita's POV

Since I was first-year high school, I had no time to make friends, because I was traumatized, thanks to my two mortal enemies, my former girlfriend Nonaka-san and my former best friend Kutake-san, who betrayed me when were in middle school.

I recognized some of my classmates from my middle school. But it seemed none of them recalled the incident with me before. Still, I was too afraid to interact with them. If I did, they might instantly remember me about what happened in the past.

One day, I noticed the female second-year student, who had a long blonde hair, struggling with a heavy load of books. Without a second thought, I stepped in to help. Together, we carried the books to the Student Council Office.

"Thanks for helping me." She smiled warmly.

"Yeah, no problem." I nodded. "I'm Youjin Kinoshita."

"I'm Naomi Susami. Nice to meet you, Kinoshita-kouhai."

"You too, Susami-senpai."

Day by day, week by week, and month by month, our friendship blossomed. Slowly, I began to heal from my painful past, and I was grateful to Naomi for that. She never pressed me about my reluctance to make more friends, sparing me from additional stress. For me, one friend was more than enough.

A year later, Naomi-senpai became a third year while I entered my second year. We continued to address each other by our given names, with honorifics, as always. She became Student Council President that made me happy. However, she seldom needed my assistance. Nevertheless, we cherished the time we spent together, especially during lunch breaks and our daily commutes. As our closeness became more apparent, some students didn't pay us much mind, while others, particularly the boys, grew envious. Not to mention my mortal enemy Nonaka-san tried to get closer to me. But still, I avoided her to not cause more trouble.

It was noon now, just as I was heading to the cafeteria, someone called out.

"Youjin-kouhai!" I turned to her. It was my senpai.

"Yes, senpai?"

"Before lunch, could you come with me for a minute?"

"Eh? Why?" I was puzzled, but she took my hand, causing me to blush.

"Let's go."

Naomi-senpai and I descended the stairs. She scanned the surroundings, ensuring no one was nearby.

"Senpai, what's going on?"

Then she took a deep breath.

"Youjin, I have to say something."

"Yes?"