Chapter 5: The New Home and Secret

Youjin Kinoshita's POV

I made a fresh start in life as I was freed from hellish school and home where I was suffered. Hours of walking and searching for shelter became my daily routine. The paranoia weighed heavily on me as I feared that someone from my past might find me, so I concealed my identity with a hooded jacket and face mask, hoping to remain invisible.

Standing before the aged-looking apartment building, far removed from the torment of my home and high school, I noticed the apartment appeared vacant. I decided to temporarily make it my own.

Entering the apartment, I called out.

"Hello? Hello!"

A middle-aged woman appeared and I nervously asked. "Um... Hi! Are you the owner of this apartment?"

She smiled and nodded. "Would you like to stay here?"

"Yes, please."

Then landlady handed me a clipboard. "Fill this out."

I quickly jotted down the necessary information and returned it to her. The apartment's monthly rent was surprisingly affordable, easing my financial concerns.

"Here is the key." The landlady passed the key to me.

"Thank you."

My new home was located on the second floor, and I eagerly explored its rooms. Besides a living room, it had a kitchen, dining room, bedroom, and bathroom. It was a bit messy, so I decided to tidy it up and unpack my belongings, feeling relief that I was no longer bound by my former life's suffocating atmosphere.

Later that night, I heard a knock on the door. I felt something suspicious as I peered through the door's small hole. To my relief, it was none other than the landlady. So I opened the door and let her in.

"Good evening, Ma'am." I greeted her.

"Please, just call me Hayashi, Kinoshita-kun."

Oh, right! I didn't ask her name when I registered. So now I knew the name of the landlady. And to my surprise, she had brought dinner. Was it for me?

"I brought dinner for us."

"Us? Wait a minute, I thought you already had dinner yourself."

She chuckled. "Ah, no. I haven't eaten with anyone for so long. So I thought you could join me for dinner here in your room."

"I see. Thank you, Hayashi-san."

We set up the meal on the table. There were two bowls of rice, two bowls of miso soup and two portions of fried meat.