6. A LINK FROM THE PAST

Avantika's POV

We finally got home at night after spending the entire day with the Shekhawats. I'm not gonna lie, I'm already hungry and I already miss Damini aunty's food.

As I changed into my pajamas, I found myself thinking about today's events.

You know, about Aakriti's situation, not her brother. Nope. Definitely not the way he looked at me when-

I looked in the mirror and found my grazing my chin.

Stop it! You have better things to do.

I quickly diverted myself by texting Pri to meet tomorrow at our favourite cafe. We had some catching up to do.

I got downstairs to get some food and found my dear brother sitting by the kitchen island in nothing but his trousers eating his sandwich like an animal.

"Chii gandhata." I said scrunching my face and making sure he heard the disgust in my voice.
(Ew gross)

He rolled his eyes. "You getting disgusted by something is hypocrisy behen."

For the lack of a better reply, I mimicked his words mockingly. I'm not proud of myself, alright.

"Parso Rakhi hai jaldi taiyar ho jana, and for once in your life mujhse gaali mat khana."

He replied with a grin on his mayonnaise covered face that obviously says 'yeah, like that's gonna happen'.

Me and Aksh have this tradition at Rakhi. We spend the entire day together roaming the city, talking about stupid stuff, bitching on our relatives, just the two of us. It's the one day this guy doesn't make me want to burn the house to the ground.

He continued eating again like nothing in the whole world ever affected him, like he wasn't getting married in just 2 months. Oh, to have this much chill in life.

Taking the other half of his sandwich, I made my way back to my room.

_________________________________

Laksya's POV

I lay on my bed playing throw and catch with the ceiling thinking what a day today was. After the Rana's left, Aakriti showed me the picture of her 'boyfriend'.

I can't believe it's him. Does he not know Aakriti is my sister? Did he forget 9th grade?

Some people grow up to be mature, some just become more stupid.

As I was dwelling in my thoughts, I heard a knock on my room's open door.

Before I could reply to the knock, I heard Rudra coming inside from the side of my eye. Bitch, why did he knock then?

"Kiske khayalon me khoya hai bhai?" He asked as he made his way towards my closet.

I chose to ignore his question and instead sat up and started paying attention to whatever the hell he was doing in my closet. Except for, throwing my clothes around the room, of course.

If he weren't my brother, I would've thrown him out the window for messing with my shirts.

Before I could ask him why he wanted to be my prey today or tell him to get the hell out, one of my freshly ironed blazers was thrown on my face.

You know what? Maybe I will throw him out the window.

"Abe chutiye kya kar raha hai?" I stood up and made my way towards the dressing table where my pain in the ass brother was standing. Before I could grab him and drag him out of my room, he turned around to face me.

"Bhai bandh de naa please, crisis main hu." He said holding the ends of the tie that was wrapped around his collar.

I sigh and snatch the tie from his hands tying it around his collar. I would've asked what his crisis was, but I know it's probably some stupid date he forgot about or something. I don't really wanna hear about it.

As I was tying the tie, I could see him smirking at me. I don't think he realises how easily I can just wrap this tie a bit too hard.

"It's him isn't it?."

"What?"

"The dude that Riti's dating. It's the same dude from school."

I just hummed in reply, not trying to think more about it.

"I don't think he knows who Riti is. Varna 9th standard toh bada yaadgar bana diya tha tune uske liye."

He's right. The dude could not have forgotten me. And I don't think he's smart enough or dumb enough to be dating Aakriti to get to me.

"Do you think Avantika knows?" I finally word out what has been worrying me since yesterday. It wasn't that stupid Yash I have been thinking about all this time, it was her.

"I don't think so. Hamne toh kabhi bataya nahi. Aur pata hota toh tu abhi zinda thodi hota." He laughed.

I hummed again. I wasn't in the mood to laugh.

Avantika.
A sigh leaves my lips at the thought of her.

Why would she even agree to let him attend the Sangeet? Does she really not remember him? Not that I'm complaining

When I was satisfied with the tie, I brushed my hand over Rudra's-well, my suit, to straighten it.

He turned back and with a final look at the mirror and with his 'I'm the sexiest man on the earth' smile, patted my shoulder and made his way out.

"Thanks bhai, I'll tell you all about the date when I get back!" His retreating figure yelled out.

"Please don't!"

I looked at the mirror and sighed again. I needed to get out of here.

I took my car keys and got out of the house as soon as I could.

I got to my baby in the garage and flew out into the clear starry night as fast as was humanly possible.

I felt the cool breeze on my face and closed my eyes tilting my head up for a moment trying to catch a little break from my own mind.

But unfortunately, some people don't have the privilege to be completely thoughtless, even for a moment.

As I drove into the night, the memories of a certain pair of tear filled brown eyes kept rushing back to me.

God, Lakshya. What are you going to do with yourself?

__________________________________