Secrets in the Dark

"Don't panic, we have candles– Yah! Don't light the match yet!" Jin's voice appears near where you know the door is but quickly disappears to yell down the hallway.

"It's okay, Noona. I will get us a candle and- oh. Right. Sorry."

You can't help but laugh at how frantic they all sound, chaos ringing throughout the eerily silent apartment. Everyday is dark for you, so this is no difference minus the lack of electricity buzzing. Maybe what they need now is help navigating the darkness.

"Hold onto me, I'll get us to the living room." You whisper, reaching a hand out to feel for him but instead feeling him bump into your back, fingers now gripping the back of your shirt.

"Thanks, my eyes haven't adjusted to the lack of light yet." You hear him mumble behind you seconds before you start to gently bump your cane along the various items on the floor until you find the opened door.

If you thought it was chaotic sounding from inside the room, outside of it is worse. Everyone is talking over each other, crashes and thuds like someone is searching for something.

"Oh thank god, I was just about to come find you.." Jimin's voice comes closer to you, trailing off and then stopping, making you tilt your head.

"Kookie's eyes wouldn't adjust so I let him grab me so I could help him get to the living room. I'm fine, really. Nothing has really changed for me."

"Right, right. I'm sorry I forgot that it wouldn't affect you the same way I just didn't want you to be scared." Jimin's voice is softer, almost intimate sounding. You can almost feel the emotions coming from his words and it makes you feel weird.

Now is not the time,  pull yourself together. You silently scold yourself and smile, thanking Jimin's kindness and offer to lead the way for the two of you; even if you didn't need it.

"Okay I have all of the candles I could find in our room. Yoongi-chi had these red long candles in the closet so I grabbed those too even though they seem to melt rather quickly-"

"Hyung! Where did you find those?" You hear Yoongi's voice boom into the room, slightly out of breath as if he was running.

"They were in the closet. I found them in a box with unmentionables– which by the way I wish I could unsee what else was in that box– I thought we could use–"

"No! Don't light anymore of them. You can't use those. Here– no! Give them to me Tae-ah, i'm not kidding. Hyung, please don't go near that box again."

You listen to them bickering with curiosity. Why is Yoongi so upset about the candles? What did Jin see in the box that made him sound so disgusted? What could be the harm in some simple candles?

Maybe you can ask Yoongi about them later. Maybe they hold a special memory for him.

"Alright, well, that happened. Anyone else have a light source?" Namjoon takes over, clearing his throat to gather attention.

"I have a little battery operated lantern I use to read when I can't sleep." Jimin pipes up.

"I have candles in my room I can bring out here. I have enough for every room and then some." Jungkook says beside you, startling you a little simply because you didn't realize he also sat beside you when you made your way to the couch.

"Good, good. Jimin? Can we use your lantern in case someone has to use the bathroom but don't flush the toilet!" Namjoon calls after Jimin, who you feel spring up from the couch and hear the pattern of his feet across the carpet.

"You should also not open the fridge or freezer too often so the food stays as cold as it can." You pipe up quietly.

"That's smart! How did you know that?" Tae speaks from far away, like he isn't quite in the same room or on the other side from you.