prologue

Washington State University is everything my parents told me it would be

My first week was a blast, I am now all moved into my little apartment on the edge of campus. Mom offered to help but with her busy in the bakery, I knew I could have done it by myself... Well, I moved most of my stuff by myself.

"Jesus Christ, Sage," the voice rang out, "what on earth do you have in here?" I turned to watch my best friend push a brown box over the threshold of my mini apartment. I shrugged as he peered up at me, "if you say books--" He began before I cut him off with a smile, "okay, they are not books."

Caleb narrowed his eyes at me, and in moments like these, all I see is his mother. "You made me carry up this heavy box that was filled with books?" He asked with a quick breath with one final push. "I didn't make you, you did this on your own accord, Jones," I corrected as I reached the box, quickly, I ripped the tape to see inside. A smile took over my face as I saw my special edition of Normal People sat on top. Even when I reached inside to check for damages, my smile didn't fade when I heard Caleb sigh.

"Remind me, the next time I see you struggling with a box, do not to help," he said dramatically as he crossed the room. I turned to watch him open a cupboard in the kitchen where I know holds cups. "Stop being a baby," I teased as I placed the hardback on the coffee table in front of the couch. Unlike me, Caleb Jones is in his second year at WSU, he's also been moved in for the past two weeks. He won't admit it, but he was more excited than myself to head back to college.

I study my friend as he fills his glass cup with water, he certainly looks like his father. My uncle Hayden, a football God. Similar to his dad, Caleb is also on the football team, I would never admit this to him but he's good too, amazing actually. Though when you grow up being taught by the Hayden Jones, it makes sense.

"So, where's Rina today?" Caleb asked with a boyish grin as his eyes scanned the apartment. In moments like these, I forget that I've known him my whole life. "She's getting coffee," I said with a smile knowing that was not the answer he would have wanted. I share this three bedroom apartment with my two other friends, Sabrina Lewis and Winter Bliss. Both of them, similar to Caleb, are in their second year. I'm a baby to them, and as much as I adore them, the only reason I'm sharing an apartment with them is because our mothers claimed it was such a good idea.

They always say that their college days were the best, and the things they did. Mom always says that if she didn't go to WSU, she doesn't know where she'd be today. She's grateful for WSU because it brought her to dad, if I wasn't a reader, I would gag at that.

"I swear, she's avoiding me," Caleb commented as he tipped his glass in my direction. "And why would she be doing that?" I know exactly why, as does he, hence why he rolls his eyes at me as if the question I just asked was crazy. "We may have gotten drunk," he admits before whispering the bit of information that catches my attention, "and made out." I leaned in, "I'm sorry, what was that?" I tease as I cup my ear to listen closer. "We made out," Caleb muttered louder the second time. I couldn't help but grin at the way he fidgets.