chapter nine

Tuesday morning rolls around and my head kills

The multiple shots and alcohol all blend into one. I practically have to drag myself out of bed, checking my phone I notice a new text message and instantly smile when I read the name

SAGE: Last night was fun, do you want to meet for coffee some time?

As soon as I received the message, another one was sent.

SAGE: It's totally fine if you don't want to or anything.

I didn't even need to think as I typed back my response. I noticed that she texted twenty minutes ago, and the second text was sent five minutes after the first. I take note of how she was up at half-six, we didn't leave the party last night until one, we exchanged numbers and said our goodnights.

THEO: Tell me when and where, and I'll be there.

I waited, and waited, after about five minutes I decided to take a breath. Coffee, I need coffee. I make my way towards the kitchen and notice the sound of the kettle. "You're up," my roommate says, I offer him a smile as I begin to root in the cupboards for a mug and the instant coffee. "How was it?" Ben asked, he stood in just his shorts, so he couldn't have been up for long.

We met in our first year of our art class, and then for our second year we decided to be roommates. It's the two of us in this apartment, it's on the east of the campus. Just around the corner from our local coffee shop, along with the campus gym.

"You missed one hell of a party," I said, my words dripping with sarcasm. Ben let out a laugh as the kettle whistled. He took it off of the stove before filling his cup up. "Yeah, I bet I did," he replied, Ben decided against the frat party last night. A late gym session and catch up on assignments instead. Truth be told, I only went in hopes to see Sage again.

Thinking of her, my phone buzzed but it wasn't a text from her.

MOM: I hope your first official week goes well, your father and I are thinking of you. We only want the best.

I roll my eyes at her text, even she's beginning to believe her lies.

My mother and I have a complicated relationship. Short story told, she left when I was ten, and then appeared again when I was sixteen, funny enough, on my sixteenth birthday. Of course, my father yelled, and they fought, and a year later of her trying, they got back together. The two of them are toxic for each other and yet they can't let it go.

When I was eighteen, my grandparents told me they set up a fund for myself, and when I finished college and got my degree, I would get that. They would pay off my college tuition and I would finally be able to go anywhere I wished.

Oslo, Norway always appealed to me.

"Got class at eight?" Ben asked as he turned to face me. He leaned back against the counter as he crossed his arms against his bare chest. "Yeah, photography," I replied as I poured the boiled water into my mug filled with coffee. "Damn, that sucks," he laughed at my pain. His blonde hair covering his forehead, "don't laugh, why are you even up then if you don't have class?"

"Early session in the gym, and then I'm meeting Dean," he said. I nodded, Dean, his on and off again boyfriend. "So, are you two good then?" I ask the obvious, he shrugs before running a hand through his un-styled hair to move it off of his forehead. "He wants to talk it through." This is another reason why I don't have the patience for relationships.

It's a lot of effort, on both parts. Ben and Dean must have broken up about three times since knowing Ben. Their relationship isn't perfect but when they're together, by God are they good. The only reason they go on breaks is because they get too busy, but after a month, they miss each other. So far, they've gone almost two months of being apart.

"You should," I reply knowing that's what he wants to hear.

My phone buzzes once again, I don't check it straight away thinking it's just my mother texting again but I am happily mistaken when I see the name.

SAGE: Is tomorrow, sixish, okay for you? The Starbucks off campus?

THEO: I'll see you tomorrow, Sage like the color.

I smile as I send the text and it doesn't go unnoticed. "Whose got you smiling this early in the morning?" I glance up to see Ben himself grinning like a cheshire cat. "A friend," I replied, that's what Sage was and if that was all she were to be, then I'd be okay with that. "Yeah, sure, a friend who's got you smiling like that must be more than a friend," Ben states, he picks his mug up before leaving me alone in the kitchen with my thoughts.

Sage was more a friend, and maybe that was insane of me to think, but I didn't have many friends. And how I feel about her, is definitely  nothing like how I've felt about anyone else, that I am certain of.

My phone vibrates once more, her text brightening my phone.

SAGE: See you soon :)

"All the love we unravel, and the life I gave away

"All the love we unravel, and the life I gave away."

Midnight Rain

A little glimpse into Theo's life— You'll see a bit more of his friendship with Ben and how Theo comes to terms with how his relationship with Ben is different to his and Sages. It'll be cute, I promise you.

"Sage like the color," kills me every time and you best believe it will be used throughout.

I do hope you've enjoyed this chapter, I know I have writing it, I loved every moment, if I do say so myself. Their scenes will just get better, I promise. Now please do vote and comment on the chapter— it really helps me out, and it lets me know you enjoyed it.

"Touching him was like realizing all you ever wanted was right there in front of you"

Red, (Taylor's Version),

***

Love you always,

abi.