chapter eleven

It's just turned six pm, and I am stood outside the coffee shop

My heart beats instantly quicker, and my chest rises rapidly.

Despite it being late August, I've gone for a plaid over-jacket with a plain black top underneath. Thankfully, Ben helped me pick out an outfit. He said and I quote, "you need to make an effort, not look homeless." He means well, so the outfit I am currently wearing is all thanks to him.

Taking a deep breath, I open the doors to the coffee shop. We planned to meet six-ish, so there is a good possibility that I am early. Glancing around, it's pretty obvious that I'm here first. Other than an elderly couple, and a couple of other students sitting alone, the store is pretty much empty.

Deciding to take a seat in a window booth, I wait for Sage. Though she doesn't make me wait look, as less than ten minutes later, she rocks up. Her darkish hair is tied up in a bun, and she's wearing once again a different shade of green. Living up to her name, her dress is a lighter shade of the colour with white prints, flowers, maybe? Covering the fabric.

I watch in admiration as she scans the room before finally locking eyes. I offer a wave and instantly curse myself for doing it, though Sage doesn't seem to mind as she also waves, along with having a smile on her face.

I don't have to think about it when I smile back at her, it's easy with Sage, that's something I've noticed and I like it. She brings a calming presence to my life, something I knew I needed but never got.

"Hey," she says when she stands in-front of the booth. She radiates good and sweet energy, like she has a halo above her. "Hi," I return back as she slides into the booth opposite me. "I hope you haven't been sitting here for long," I smile instantly, shaking my head, "no, only about five minutes."

That alone was like a weight was lifted off of her chest as she slumps back into the booth. "Thank god, Rina said I should have been earlier, and Winter said I should have waited another half hour, but I'm glad you didn't have to wait long." She speaks while using her hands, making it look like she's animated. I take note in how she babbles on, I like it.

I don't talk a lot, so knowing that Sage could talk enough for the both of us, I like it. She doesn't get awkward or worried that she's speaking too much, she just does it and owns it.

"Anyways," she mumbles off, her cheeks staining a deep shade of pink. It's cute, how she reactions. "I'm glad you wanted to hang out," she says. "Me too," I admit, I wanted to hang out with Sage, one on one. I don't know if I would have texted, I would have debated it, plenty of times, but I know I would have talked myself out of it.

We sit in silence for a minute, my eyes wandering over her. Her eyes are a dark shade of blue, very dark, almost as if the color isn't there at all. Her face looks familiar but I put that on maybe seeing her before the football game. "You look good in red," Sage says, and instantly her eyes widen almost as if she couldn't believe she said the words.

"You look good in green," she smiles at my words, Sage like the color. Such a pretty color, red used to be my favorite but now... Sage might win.

"I know it's cliché of me to be wearing green considering," she points to herself and again I smile, almost laughing at her words. "But, I like the color," Sage confesses as she leans forward. Her elbows on the table, she places her hands under chin, the action bringing my eyes to her pink lips. "It's cute," I uttered, loud enough for her to hear.

"Cute," Sage whispered the word, her eyes avoided mine. God, what I would pay to know what she's thinking. Cute is good, calling her that, is a good thing, even I know I can't miss that up. My phone buzzes in my pocket, quickly, I pull it out to check the new message.

BEN: How's it going? Have you complimented her? If not, do that, girls love it.

The message is swiftly followed up by another.

BEN: I'm heading out, hopefully you have your key?? If not, message me and I'll head home to let you in. Have fun on your date!!

I don't respond as I glance up to see Sage hovering, her eyes looking at the phone though I know she isn't trying to read the message, but she is curious. "Sorry," I place the phone on the table in-front of us, "roommate."

Sage let out a breath, probably thankful for my answer. "How many?" She asks and it takes me a second to figure out she's referring to how many I live with. "Just the one, Ben," I explain though I don't go into detail how she wants, or how she would

"That's nice," she muttered, her gaze searching the empty coffee shop. "You live with Winter?" I ask to try my part at simple small talk. That must work because her eyes goes back to mine, so full of hope and happiness. Sage nods a little before explaining her living situation.

An hour later, and two drinks down for Sage, and one cup of coffee for myself, we are leaving the booth. Sage walks ahead and my hand itches to touch her back. As we stand on the sidewalk, the sun now setting, Sage glances over at me. "Thank you for coming, sorry if I was a little awkward," she says and I can't help but take a step closer.

Like a magnetic was pulling me to her.

"I had fun," I say with a smile this time and I genuinely meant it. "I'm glad," Sage uttered as I stood a foot away from her. "I should," she trailed off with her words as she hooked a thumb over her shoulder. "I'll walk you," I say before I could over think it.

I wasn't ready for the night to be over with, that I was certain of.

Sage's eyes widen slightly before her cheeks once again darkened, "it's this way," she said before we walked, side by side back to her apartment.

"What would you do, if they only knew?"
I Can See You, (Taylor's Version)

Their first date, I am really going for the young, cute and awkward energy, and dare I say they have nailed it. I adore them sm, (I know, I know, you already know).

I do hope you've enjoyed this chapter, I know I have writing it, I loved every moment, if I do say so myself. Their scenes will just get better, I promise. Now please do vote and comment on the chapter— it really helps me out, and it lets me know you enjoyed it.

"You'll be alright."
Safe and Sound, (Taylor's Version),

***

Love you always,

abi.