Chapter Four: In Your Shadow

Since Richter didn't get much sleep the night before, he rests for a little bit in the only bed in the room. The exhaustion finally caught up with Belmont and he practically passed out the moment his head touched the pillow.

The sun slowly crawls along the floor as the day passes. Staying in the shadows, Olrox watches Richter sleep. Luckily the inn Olrox is staying at is fairly quiet, letting Richter get the rest he so desperately needs.

The Aztec quietly studies Richter, from his perpetually messy brown hair to his youthful face and long eyelashes. He feels that same feeling he felt with his past lover, a feeling he never thought he'd experience again.

He's snapped out of his thoughts when Richter whimpers in his sleep and tenses up. Even now, he still seems to be plagued by nightmares. More out of instinct, Olrox walks over to the bedside, (sidestepping the sunlight hitting the floor), and looks down at the tense young man.

Richter's face is contorted in pain and grief. Olrox reaches down and gently strokes Richter's face again. Belmont lets out a shuddered breath and his body relaxes. He slips back into a deeper sleep as Olrox watches on.
****
"Are you ready to try this out?" Belmont asks, down in the streets in a fairly dark alleyway. The first thing they really can do is see how well Olrox can hide in Richter's shadow.
"I'm ready when you are," he nods. Belmont nods and steps out into the sunlight, facing the sun. He glances back over his shoulder to see Olrox turn into a black mist form and blend with his shadow.

Besides his shadow slightly wavering like a heatwave, nobody would be able to tell anything is different.
It feels strange having to look down at Olrox now, Richter has gotten used to being at equal height with the vampire.
"Are you doing all right?" he asks, keeping his voice low.
A slight wind brushes past the shell of his ear.
"I'm fine," Olrox whispers.

Richter swears he can feel Olrox's hands on his shoulder blades, faint like a ghost. Like a second shadow. He quickly faces forward again, hiding his blush. This is the closest Olrox has physically gotten to him, to the point of whispering in his ear like a phantom. No, phantom isn't the right word. Accomplice? No, certainly not accomplice, both Richter and Olrox would have to be committing a crime together.

He doesn't know yet. But he does know he needs to get something to eat. He is beginning to feel a little dizzy. Olrox obviously doesn't have any human food in his room. Seeming to sense Richter's hunger as they walk the streets, Olrox whispers again.

"Find something to eat," he says gently, his voice little more than a sound in the wind. "You can't fight, let alone think, if hunger clouds your mind."
Richter can picture Olrox's faint smile as he says this.
"I know," he whispers back.
Figuring he'll eat something quick, he buys a few slices of bread, a little bit of cheese, and a bag of apples.

At least he can keep the apples and bread in Olrox's room just in case. After getting away from the main population, Richter sits under the shade of a large tree. He watches Olrox materialize back into his solid form, sitting next to Belmont.

The Aztec looks out into the grassy field with a strange sense of longing in his gaze.
"I've forgotten how bright it gets in the day," he notes quietly.
Richter pauses mid bite with one of the apples and looks over at Olrox in surprise. He awkwardly crunches down on the fruit and tries to chew as quietly as he can.

Part of him doesn't want to ruin Olrox's moment here. Olrox looks over at him and Richter nearly chokes, coughing. He manages to eat the piece of apple. He feels his face burning in embarrassment and Olrox faintly smiles at him.
The Aztec looks amused at Richter's behavior.
Belmont swears he can almost hear his ancestors rolling in their graves.

"What?" Richter manages to choke out.
Olrox actually laughs a little, not what Belmont was expecting at all.
"You amuse me more than I'd like to admit, Richter," Olrox states. The wind rustles the leaves above them, moving their hair a bit. The beads in Olrox's braid sways a little.

His eyes widen. Olrox called him by his actual name. The Aztecs' expression shifts a little, looking more sad now, like he just recalled something.
"As part of our agreement, there is something I need to tell you," the vampire begins.
"What is it?" Richter asks, putting the apple core in his bag to toss later.

"If there is ever a chance you get hurt, and I mean seriously hurt, I will do everything in my power to make sure you don't die," he says, frowning.
Richter looks into his eyes, seeing Olrox is saying the truth.
Belmont remains quiet, thinking this over.
They remain under the tree for a while, gazing out at the field, thinking of their shared future together.