Chapter Thirty: Ritual

A few days have passed as Richter gradually adjusts to life in Teotihuacan. But so has Belmont's anxiety. He knows that the closer it gets to May 22nd, the closer it will be to the ritual he has to perform.
He knows enough about Toxcatl to see the Aztecs view him as the avatar for Tēzcatlipōca, he also knows he needs to climb the steps of one of the pyramids to complete the ritual.

He also knows he has to get almost completely naked in front of the whole population of Teotihuacan, Olrox, Quetzalcoatl, and Tēzcatlipōca. Even though he only has to undress to kneel in front of the Jaguar God and then lie down on the stone slab where countless other people have died before him, his stomach still twists with anxiety.

Of course, only Olrox and the two eldest sons of Ometeotl will be seeing him up close since they'll be at the top of the pyramid. They won't actually kill Richter, he can't die, he's immortal. But symbolically, Olrox will have to make a small slash across his chest, just enough to draw blood.
Then Tēzcatlipōca will have to cut his own hand and mark Richter's face, showing the Aztecs that he and the God are bound by blood.

Olrox had stated the plan to Richter.
"You'll be fine," the Aztec had murmured as they watched the sunset from the shadows.
"I've done this ritual before. Tēzcatlipōca will accept you, just like Quetzalcoatl accepted me. You just need to kneel, say some rehearsed words, then lie still."

They had that discussion a few days ago and it's stuck with Richter since. He leans curled up on the obsidian throne he has seen countless times in the visions of the past, wrapped in jaguar fur like a conflicted child. Smoke vents out like two unbroken streams from his nose, definitely from stress.

He wears part of the jaguar fur like a hood over his head, wondering how long it will take before Olrox finds him. He feels the claw marks Tēzcatlipōca had made on the armrests of the throne so long ago, but it still feels fresh in Richter's mind.
How many times have the brothers gotten into arguments in this very room of the pyramid?

"There you are," Olrox murmurs, walking in from the large double doors that lead outside. Moonlight floods the room before the Aztec closes the doors again. He looks relieved to see Richter, then frowns. "What's wrong?"

Richter closes his eyes tightly, feeling tears threatening to spill over onto his cheeks. Even now, after weeks of looking like this, he still feels like he doesn't belong. He doesn't belong in France anymore, either. So where can he go?
"I can't do the ritual," his voice trembles.
Olrox blinks, bewildered.
"What?"

Belmont lifts his head up, smoke coming out more forcefully in his humiliation and anger. His eyes flash dangerously in the faint torchlight of the large throne room.
"Look at me, Olrox! I'm not Aztec! I'm not one of you! This all just—just feels like a big lie! I can't wear this mask of a God forever. Every time I look into the obsidian mirror, I don't see myself. I don't see Richter Belmont, I just see a monster!"

Richter collapses into tears on the throne, curled into himself and coughing out smoke in distress. He hides under the fur blanket, trembling like the weight of the world is on his shoulders. Seems like all of the stress from everything that has happened since that night he ran out of the dungeon finally made him crack.

Olrox rushes up to him and gently peels the fur back. Richter coughs up another cloud of smoke that Olrox waves away.
"Oh, Little boy Belmont," he murmurs, mainly to snap Richter out of his panicked state. This seems to work and Richter sniffs hard, tears still in his eyes.
"Come," Olrox whispers, gently holding both of Richter's hands, guiding him up from the throne.

"Where are we...?" Richter croaks. Olrox gently shushes him.
"Remember when I said I was going to kiss you all over?" the Aztec asks with a sad smile.
Belmont slowly nods, breath hitching.
"Well, let me do that now. I said I would make you feel better, and I will," he promises.