Chapter Eight: Escape

"Uh, Olrox? What's with the parade?" Richter asks as he looks down at the fairly busy street. Another day has passed without much happening, until now.
He hears Olrox walk over.
"It's not just a parade," he explains, jaw tense. "They're welcoming the Vampire Massiah." He motions to a golden chariot pulled by white horses.

He sees Olrox glaring down at her with clear hatred. It seems like they both can agree on that. Then the Aztec sighs and looks at Richter, his anger gone and eyes glowing.
"I've seen this happen too many times. I can tell the difference between a savior and a conqueror from a mile away. They've always claimed they were doing it for their God, sometimes a King, but always their one Christian God. The way the people are looking at her, it sickens me."

"Because of the Spaniards?" Richter murmurs sadly.
Olrox nods.
"So many of my people were slaughtered. Who could see that and think it's right?"
"I feel like you and Annette would get along on that aspect," Richter admits.
The Aztec laughs a little at this.
Richter smiles.
****
Since everyone is busy welcoming the Vampire Messiah, Olrox and Richter sneak back down into the dungeon. To Richter's relief, there are a lot less monsters doing patrol. Even so, Olrox almost drags Richter to Edouard's cell.

The Aztec is nervous, glancing at every dark corner with suspicion as he stays close to Belmont.
Richter can't help but smile when he sees Edouard is still safe.
"Edouard," he sighs in relief, hands on the bars.
The opera singer looks up in surprise and looks just as happy to see the hunter as well.

Chains rattling, he walks to the bars of his cell and touches Richter's hands in return, his skin warm.
"Richter, it's so good to see you. It's good to see you too, Mr..?" Edouard tilts his head at the Aztec.
"Olrox," he says gently, head lowered a little. "But we should be quick with the formalities. We're here to get you out."

The night creature looks surprised again, wings twitching.
"Oh, what about Annette and the others? Are they all right?"
Richter's smile falters as guilt fills his mind again.
"I hope so. I...haven't seen them since I ran out of here," Belmont admits.
Edouard's blue eyes widen in shock.

"We'll talk about this later, we have to get you out of here. Olrox?" Richter glances at the vampire. The Aztec nods and turns into his mist form, easily slipping through the bars. He solidifies beside Edouard and picks at the locks with his obsidian blade.

They hear the crowd cheering above them, signaling the parade is almost over.
"Hurry," Richter whispers.
"I'm going as fast as I can," Olrox sighs, brows furrowed in concentration. The last shackle falls to the floor with a final rattle.
Olrox hands Richter the knife through the bars so he can pick the lock on the cage.

Heart pounding, Richter loosens the lock and pushes the door open. Olrox quickly turns into mist again and wraps around both Edouard and Richter.
Both young men look at each other in bewilderment before they are yanked out of the dungeon with alarming speed.

Richter's stomach flips. He holds back a scream so he doesn't vomit. Both Edouard and Richter are led out into a field away from the city. Olrox sets them both down gently on the grass, the wind cold as the sky darkens.
Olrox quickly solidifies again, looking at them both.

"Are you both all right?" he asks.
Edouard's knees are shaky as he stands, Richter is still on his hands and knees.
"Oh, Christ," he gags and vomits up his dinner.
He feels Olrox rub his back as Edouard looks around.
"We need to leave France," Olrox says firmly, clearly in a tone that isn't up for debate.

"Why?" Edouard asks fearfully.
"Because before meeting Richter in the dungeons, I overheard Drolta talking about what they'll do once Bathory arrived, and now she's here," Olrox explains, helping Richter to his feet.

"Can't you beat her?" Richter asks, catching his breath.
Olrox shakes his head no.
"She is a lot more powerful than I am. If either of you tried, you would be killed almost immediately. I swear to both of you, I don't want either of you dead. So that's why we're leaving," the Aztec states, face twisted in grief.

"Do either of you know of anywhere safe?"
Edouard looks down, thinking, then shakes his head.
"The island I'm from is still a mess, I think," he sighs, his memory still foggy from his former life as a human.
"Richter? Any ideas?" Olrox looks at him.

"I'm guessing going to the New World isn't an option?" Belmont guesses.
"No. Once Drolta and her mistress are finished here, they'll most likely go to America next," the vampire shakes his head, looking sad at not being able to go back to Mexico for who knows how long.

Richter's eyes brighten as he forms an idea.
"The Belmont Hold," he whispers.
"What?" Olrox tilts his head.
"Huh?" Edouard looks just as lost.

"Yes, the Belmont Hold should be safe," Richter paces, feeling more confident with each step. "I've heard it's built below a ruined mansion, with a massive underground structure just brimming with knowledge."
"That's great! Where is it?" Edouard looks relieved.
Richter hesitates. "In..Wallachia..."
Olrox blinks a few times, hardly believing what he is hearing.
"In Romania?" he asks in disbelief.
Richter nods slowly. "But I've never been there myself, only stories passed down."

"Well, that's better than nothing," the opera singer looks between them hopefully.
"It will take us weeks to get there," Olrox paces, body tense.
"Unless," Belmont begins, face a little pale at the drastic idea.
"Unless...?" Edouard gently urges him.
"Olrox, I remember your serpent form can fly, right?" Belmont recalls.

The Aztec stops pacing.
"Flying there would be faster, and we would be safer," he realizes. "But that means both of you would have to ride on my back. We'll travel at night and rest during the day. Even with my speed, it'll take us a few days at best."
"Then that's the best plan," Richter nods.

"What about the others?" Edouard looks back at the city.
"I'm sure they're fine. We'll come back, I swear it," Richter smiles and squeezes Edouard's hand.
"All right, that's the plan. Both of you stay here for now, I need to gather some supplies for you both," Olrox states.
The Aztec kisses Richter's cheek and quickly turns back into mist, zipping back to the city.

Richter looks away from Edouard, who stares at him from seeing the kiss.
"So...You and Olrox, huh?" He can hear the smile in Edouard's voice.
"Oh, be quiet," Richter crosses his arms, secretly happy to have someone else around.