Chapter Twenty-Seven: Leaving France

Olrox looks down at Richter as he sleeps, curled up against the tree trunk like a child. Belmont's features are relaxed, eyes closed. He's clearly sleeping deeply. The area around them is quiet, the scent of spoiling blood isn't as bad here.

The Aztec gently has his fingers go through Richter's hair, brown and gray curls flecked with dry blood. They're both a mess, honestly. Olrox's clothing is scuffed, hair tangled. But he's happy.
He's relieved that they both made it out of this madness together.

Richter makes a soft noise in his sleep at Olrox caressing his hair, a mix between a pleased groan and a purr. He smiles, resting with Belmont. They both deserve some rest.
****
Richter is surprised he dreams of the moonlit field for the first time in a while. He looks up at the moon, taking a deep breath and exhaling smoke he watches disappear.

Hearing the grass rustle, he looks over to see Leon smiling sadly at him. Richter feels a lump form in his throat, suddenly ashamed. Tears well up in his yellow eyes and he looks away, trembling.

He hears Leon walk over and gently rub his shoulder, soothing him.
"You've made me proud, Richter," Leon whispers. Richter looks surprised, sniffing hard. He looks into Leon's blue eyes.
"I-I thought you'd hate me, what I've become," Richter's voice trembles.
"I could never hate you, sweet boy," his ancestor assures him with a kiss to the cheek. "You're my descendant, you always will be. I would not turn my back on you."

Richter nods and smiles a little like a child being reassured by their parent. Leon hugs him and Richter hugs back, careful not to poke him with his claws.
"Thank you," Richter murmurs.
"You're welcome. I'll always be here," Leon assures him. "Now get some rest, you deserve it."
****
Olrox sees Richter gradually stirring awake, his hand caressing Belmont's cheek.
Richter blinks, a look of confusion crossing his features, like he's forgotten where he is.

"¿Qué ha pasado?" Belmont whispers.
(What happened?)
Olrox laughs softly and speaks.
"Te quedaste dormido. No quería despertarte," he whispers kindly.
(You fell asleep. I didn't want to wake you.)
"¿Y los demás?" Richter asks, sitting up more.
(And the others?)
"Todavía están en la cabaña. Llevan dormidos unas horas," Olrox explains.
(They are still at the cabin. You have been asleep for a few hours.)

"Parece que a los dos nos vendría bien un baño," Richter jokes, smiling a little.
(We both look like we could use a bath.)
The Aztecs laughs again. He gently cups Richter's cheek and kisses him. Belmont's eyes widen, his usually slit pupils almost completely round.
He kisses back, eyes closing as he relaxes.
****
Richter yells when Olrox dumps a bucket of soapy water on his head, instantly soaking his hair.
"Was that necessary?" he coughs, brushing dripping water out of his eyes.

"It was to see the look on your face," Olrox jokes, setting the bucket down.
"You're lucky I'm already in the bath," Belmont mutters, arms crossed over his chest.
"Might as well get clean while our clothes are being washed," the Aztec smiles.
"You have a point there," Richter sighs, averting his eyes as Olrox removes the towel from his waist and gets in the tub with him.

"I'm surprised Tera has a tub this large," Belmont murmurs, hoping the permanent black stripes on his face is enough to hide his burning cheeks. He hears Olrox laugh.
"So, what's the plan? We help around the city, say goodbye, then head for the nearest port to Mexico?" Richter asks.
"Something like that," Olrox shrugs, his black hair somehow shinier when wet. Richter tries to refrain from staring at the Aztecs' bare chest.

"Sounds easy enough," Richter sighs, wondering what he's going to do with the Vampire Killer and Morning Star. Keep them wrapped up so he can carry them to the Belmont Hold? Keep them even if he can't use them?

Olrox frowns a little. "Something wrong?"
Richter blinks, snapping out of his thoughts.
"No," he sighs, pulling his knees up to his chest in the water. "I'm fine."
The Aztec leans forward, making Richter lean back more on reflex.
"You lie. Tell me," he murmurs, green eyes staring into golden ones.

Richter can hardly think straight. Both him and Olrox are naked, in a tub, with only soapy water barely separating their bodies from touching—
"I don't know what to do with the whips," he blurts out, eyes wide enough that the black of his pupils and sclera almost swallows up the golden pupils.

Olrox hums, leaning back on his side of the tub.
"It would only hurt you using them. Perhaps keep them here? Or the Belmont Hold?" The Aztec guesses.
"I don't know," Richter sighs, claws going through his damp hair.
"Leaving them might be the best option," Olrox admits, finishing washing himself and getting out of the tub without warning Richter.

Belmont nearly flails on the bath in alarm, quickly shielding his eyes as his heart hammers in his chest. He hears Olrox laugh softly and kiss the top of his head with affection.
****
"You're leaving?" Maria echoes, alarmed.
"I am," Richter nods, face mostly hidden in a brown cloak large enough to shield him from the sun. Olrox stands next to him, wearing a similar cloak. Both of their eyes glow faintly in the shadows the hoods make.

"Why?" Tera asks, worried.
"I don't belong here, not anymore," Belmont murmurs.
Annette, Edouard, and Mizrak look shocked at this. Edouard steps forward, tears in his blue eyes.
"Richter..."
"I see how people look at me in the streets," Richter whispers sadly. It has been a few weeks since word got out that Bàthory and Drolta are dead. Despite saving France from the vampires, Richter knows he can't walk the streets like normal anymore.

"I'll be safer in Mexico," he assures them all, glancing at each of them. "Tēzcatlipōca and Quetzalcoatl are already in Teotihuacan waiting for us."
"If that is your choice," Tera murmurs, stepping forward and hugging Richter. Belmont is caught off guard, suddenly feeling like a ten year old boy again. He hugs her back gently, tears burning his eyes.

"Come back and visit, all right?" Maria asks sternly despite the waver in her voice. Richter smiles with his lips closed and nods.
"I'll try to."
"But don't keep Maria waiting too long," Annette teases sadly. Richter manages to laugh a little, more like a cough, huffing smoke out.

Mizrak steps forward last, roughly the same height as Richter.
"Farewell then, Belmont. Thank you for taking down Drolta and Bàthory," the knight murmurs, face still stern but his brown eyes soft.
"And thank you for watching over them," Richter murmurs.

He casts one last glance at them all before getting on the wagon next to Olrox, the small cart carrying just about everything Richter owns, even the whips.
The scent of seawater smells sharper as the dock swelters in the sunlight. Both vampires keep their hoods up and cloaks tight.

Olrox watches the crew on the ship loading Richter's items below deck. It will take them a few weeks to get to Mexico, but at least they can relax below deck during the day and come out at night.

"And you're certain we can't just fly there?" Richter teases, oddly hoping he could climb on Olrox's back in his feathered serpent form again. The Aztec laughs and playfully smacks his shoulder.
"That would be torture for me. There would be no place to rest or hide from the sun during the day," Olrox muses. Richter laughs back, joining the Aztec on the deck.

"We're finally going home," the Aztec sighs, relieved.
"Yes," Richter agrees, looking out at the horizon where the ocean meets the sky and the blue colors blur. "Home."