Olrox's Message To Richter

Dear Richter,

We've been alive for a while now. I know that thought must be overwhelming to you, seeing everyone else age, but we don't.
Even so, you've faced this reality with the same stubbornness like you did when you were nineteen.  I know you still get a little nervous about the slow body changes that happened as a side effect of ingesting Lord Tēzcatlipōca's blood.

The tips of your claws had gradually turned red, like permanent blood you can't scrub off. When you ran to me, freaking out about the darker spots appearing all over your skin like jaguar spots, I had to calm you down. I know a lot of things are still challenging for you, I understand that. I will be here every step of the way, you know this.

There are so many wonders I still want to share with you. We can travel the world, you and I. You've gotten stronger with your illusion spells that trick people into thinking you look normal. Tēzcatlipōca has taught you well, my dear. You probably don't realize how proud I am of you, seeing how you've changed.

I can see you from my window as I write this, watching you play with the various children that all look up to you like a child would view a parent. I can hear their laughter and yours drifting in the wind. You look happy. Even then, I know your nights are troubled. You are quiet during the night, toying with the feather earrings you still wear, even now.

The fact that we don't age bothers you, I know this. You have kept in contact with everyone back in France through letters over the years. You were content for a while, until you got the news that Tera had passed from old age. Your immortality didn't hit you until then.

I still remember how you screamed like you were being burned, curled against the floor with your arms around yourself and rocking. I recall reading the letter with troubled eyes and grieved with you. I comforted you in any way I could, holding you as you wailed.

You soon managed to calm down, coughing up smoke like you always do when stressed. Watching the stars has always brought you joy, so I took you outside.
"How did you do it?" you had asked me, letting out a shuddered breath as you gazed up at the stars.
"Do what?" I asked, caressing your cheek to wipe away another tear.
"Get used to losing loved ones?" you whispered, white veins in your eyes since your sclera are black.
You looked at me, blinking tired, bloodshot eyes.

I pulled you into a hug, rubbing your back.
"By living one day at a time," I murmured, "and now I have you with me. I'll never leave you, Richter. I promise you that."
You sniffed and nuzzled against the crook of my neck, the familiar sound of your purring had become a noise I've come to love.
"Okay," you whispered, hugging back.

Things slowly got better. You still kept in contact with the others. Annette and Maria grew older and soon had families of their own. Mizrak stayed behind in France until the day he died, saying he needed to atone for working with the Abbot. Edouard is still out there somewhere, from what you have told me.

I suppose getting turned into a night creature also gave him immortality.
"We'll have to look for him," you had told me, that same blazing determination in your eyes. "I know it's been years since we visited, but it would be nice to see someone familiar again."
Whatever happens, I'll be by your side.
-Olrox
****
The Aztec pauses, lifting pen from paper as he finishes the letter. He's always written in cursive, even now. He can still hear the children laughing, but doesn't hear Richter.

Curious, he looks out of the window to see the kids playing, but Richter is gone. Somewhat worried, Olrox exits his room and outside of the pyramid to the dim twilight. He smiles at the children as they wave at him. He waves back and continues looking for Richter.

His breath catches in his throat when he sees ten year old Richter running with the other children, laughing. He blinks, and child Richter is gone. He pauses and rubs his eyes, guilt still lingering in the pit of his stomach. Olrox shakes this off.

He finds Richter dozing off on a lower tree branch, leaning against the trunk.
"Hey," Olrox whispers, leaning against the large branch.
Richter opens his eyes and smiles.
"Hey," he murmurs back.
"Mind if I join you?"
"Go ahead," Belmont says, claws scraping against the bark as he moves his feet back.

The Aztec sits next to him.
"How long has it been since we visited the others?"
Olrox knows Richter means Maria, Annette, and Edouard. They had visited when Tera was still alive and came back to her funeral.
"It's been a while," Olrox admits, knowing Richter might still freak out at how old both of them are at this point. Even so, Richter still behaves like he is nineteen sometimes.

The letters from Maria and Annette suddenly stopped years ago. Olrox understood that both women were getting older, judging by their shaky handwriting, but the Aztec hadn't had the heart to give Richter the final two letters from either of them.

It's 1882 now and Richter is 109 years old.
Olrox is 350.
Richter hums in response.
The Aztec looks down in surprise when Richter's hand gently covers his. He looks over to see Richter looking out into the distance sadly.

"They're really gone," he whispers softly, sadly, "aren't they?"
Olrox gently squeezes Richter's hand, feeling the younger vampire entwine their fingers together.
He feels Belmont's hand tremble a little.

"Does it ever get easier?" he asks, absentmindedly picking at the tree bark with a red tipped claw using his free hand.
"Over the years, yes," Olrox admits. "You get numb to it. That's the only word to describe such a thing. With every day that passes, I don't remember my old lover's face, or his name. It's like his identity is fogged over in my mind."

Richter slowly nods.
"I know what that feels like," he whispers. "I don't recall what my mother looks like anymore. She's hazy in my memories." He doesn't face Olrox as he says this, almost like he's ashamed of admitting he's forgetting his loved ones.

"I know..." Richter's voice wavers and he starts again. "I know that at the end of the day, you're the only one that understands my struggles. Tēzcatlipōca knows about every little detail in my head, yes. But he's been immortal from the beginning. We were made this way."

Belmont clears his throat.
"Promise me as time continues to move past us, we'll support each other. We may fight and have petty arguments, but by each sunrise, I want to be beside you as we sleep. I want to share a bed with you, no more sleeping in separate rooms. Can we do that?"

Richter looks at him and Olrox swears he can see the familiar blue eyes of the last Belmont before they're yellow again. Olrox nods, gently resting his forehead against Belmont's as a sign of affection.
"You don't know how long I've waited for you to ask that question," the Aztec murmurs, eyes closed.