Chapter Six: Just Trust In Me, My Dear

Two days pass and soon enough Richter can't take smelling like his own body sweat anymore. While Olrox has gone out to hunt to get some blood, and some more food for Richter, Belmont figures now is a good time to get out of bed.

With a soft groan, he sits up and puts his feet on the floor. He stretches, thankful his shoulder doesn't really hurt anymore, feeling his spine popping since he's been in bed for most of the day. The night sky outside of his window is clear. He takes in the view for a moment before going to the washroom to finally take a decent bath.

He's seen the wooden tub in the washroom, and is still a little surprised at how an inn can even afford multiple. Using the metal pump, he gradually fills the three buckets available to him with water and starts the painstaking process of having them heat up over the fireplace.

As he waits, he looks down at his hands and sighs. Still no powers. If he had them, he could heat up the water much faster. Part of him had hoped his powers would kick in during the night creature attack. But Olrox saved him. The vampire saved the vampire hunter.

Once the water is warm enough, he pours it in the tub and begins removing the layers of his blue clothing. He groans in relief at the warm water soothing his tired muscles. The tub is big enough that he can lean back submerged up to his neck. Richter relaxes for a moment, but only for a moment.

The nagging thoughts swirl around in his head again: worrying about Edouard, Annette, Tera, and Maria. It's been almost a week since he ran off.
"Would they even take me back now?" He questions quietly at the warm air in the washroom.
"And Edouard...Annette will never forgive me..." he sighs, shoving the thoughts aside and dunks his head under the water to get his hair wet.

He comes back up a moment later, scrubbing the dirt and grease out of his hair with a bar of lye soap. Relieved at feeling clean, he rinses the soap off of his hair and body when he hears the door to the room open.
"Richter? I brought you food. I hope you like dried strips of meat, there wasn't much else at the butcher's shop," Olrox's voice is slightly muffled by the door.

"Thank you, I'll be out in a moment," he calls.
"Take your time," Olrox says. Richter swears he can hear a teasing note in the vampire's voice.
Suppressing a groan of embarrassment, he carefully gets out of the tub and dries off. He glances in the small mirror and sees his brown hair is somehow messier than before.

He tries to brush it down with his fingers, to no avail. Rolling his eyes, he realizes the only outfit he has is still stained with grass marks and stinking of sweat. Knowing he can't let Olrox see him as naked as the day he was born, he silently panics. Trying not to slip, he grabs the towel he used and wraps it around his waist.

Cracking the door open ever so slightly, he sees Olrox sitting on the other side of the room, reading a book. The Aztec hasn't noticed him yet.
"Olrox?" He calls out.
The vampire glances up and looks bewildered at seeing Richter peeking out from the slightly open door.
"Is everything alright?" Olrox asks slowly, closing his book.

"Yes. I mean, no. I.." Richter feels like his face is on fire. He inhales deeply and starts again.
"I don't have any other clothes that are clean. I need something to wear," he explains in a small voice.
"Oh, I see," Olrox smiles, stifling his laughter as he stands and walks to the closet.
Richter wants to slam his own head through a wall if it means not having to be conscious during this interaction.

He watches Olrox scanning the little clothing the closet contains.
"Would this work? It seems to be the only thing your size," Olrox states, turning to show off a white cotton sleeping gown.
"That's fine," Richter just about squeaks out.
Laughing, Olrox walks over and hands him the gown, thankfully looking into his eyes the whole time. Richter is embarrassed even with the towel around his waist.

"Thank you," he says in a hurry and closes the door. He hears Olrox laughing softly on the other side.
He quickly dresses and looks at himself in the mirror.
'Dear God,' he looks at his reflection in horror. 'I look like a maiden.'

He shakily picks up his dirty clothes to wash later and exits the washroom. Belmont sees Olrox is back to reading his book. The Aztec glances up and smiles at Richter.
"How is your shoulder?" he asks as he stands up.
Richter quickly notes how much food Olrox brought for him. He sees another bag of apples on the table.
"It feels better," he responds, figuring telling Olrox about his worries and doubts right now isn't the best time.

Richter moves his arm. There's little more than a subtle ache, nothing serious.
"Good," Olrox looks relieved. He looks like he wants to say something else, but hesitates. He cups Richter's cheek gently—he's been doing that a lot now—Richter realizes, heart hammering in his chest.

He looks into Olrox's eyes, this time without fear. With a small sigh, the Aztec lowers his head and kisses Richter.
Belmont's eyes widen, but he doesn't pull back, nor does he shove Olrox away.
The vampire's lips are soft, he's clearly being as gentle as he can.
Richter, having never been kissed romantically before, doesn't know what to do.
After a few moments, Olrox pulls back.

"I'm sorry, that was...unexpected of me," Olrox murmurs, glancing away. "I've just been worried about you."
"It is all right," Richter smiles, heart still beating quickly.
"That felt nice."
Olrox looks calm and happy about this.

Despite the kiss, Richter feels his anxiety spiking again.
"What about the others? And this Vampire Messiah?"
Olrox laughs softly and kisses him again, trying to ease Richter's worries away.
Belmont is breathless when they break away, their foreheads touching.
"Just trust in me, my dear," Olrox assures him.
"Besides," the Aztec smiles at a blushing Richter, "I have the Abbot's book on Forgemastery."