Chapter 5

This morning I woke up early on purpose. I've been visiting my horses every day for the past two weeks but today I want to go on a ride with one of the south palace's.

I haven't really had time for myself since I started all these lessons and my days always start at the same hour, the same way. So, I woke up at 5am to go on a morning ride.

Uncle Jacob told me I could ride whatever horse I wanted and since I've been coming to the stables, I have spotted a beautiful white horse and I can't help but want to see how fast it can run. Its name is Charm, it's a 3 years old stallion.

I walk outside, toward the stables. Maisy and Daisy have been put next to each other so they have company.

- Hi girls, I pet Maisy who put her head out of the paddock for me.

Daisy is still sleeping so I don't bother her. I give Maisy an apple I took from the kitchen on my way here. The cooks and maids were already up.

I search for Charm, the young stallion. The names of the horses are written on each one of their paddocks so it doesn't take me a lot of time until I find Charm's one.

- Hey buddy, I say as the horse watches me. Would you like to go on an early ride with me?

It's strange how I always loved to talk to horses even though I don't know if they can understand me or not. They are such clever and empathic animals. If you are riding a horse and you feel scared or stressed, the horse will feel it too.

But horses are also so powerful and fast, all of this while staying majestic and noble.

I prepare the saddle and the harness of the horse, for good times sake.

Charm is very calm and lets me gear him up. Then, I get him out of his paddock and lead him out of the stables.

In front of us lays the wide green landscape that is the forest and all I want is to start feel the strong breath of wind on my face and feel the speed.

Charm starts moving next to me.

- Yeah, I know you want to go too, I laugh.

I get on the stallion and we start walking.

I lean over his neckline and say:

- We should start now, right?

I smile to myself and give two small kicks in his flanks.

The horse doesn't wait one more second and starts  running at high speed towards the forest. The wind is screaming around my ears, my hair is blown back and all of my muscles contract to steady myself. This is what makes me happy.

We keep running around the forest, I don't want to fully enter it because I don't know it well. Charm goes even faster and the wind from the speed is making my eyes tear up.

I feel free.

Unstoppable.

We end up turning around, back towards the stables.

Once we stop, I can still feel the wind on my face and my heart is beating fast in my chest.

- That was wonderful, I sigh in joy. Thanks, Charm.

I take off his saddle and harness and give him water before putting him back in his stable. I also pour him a little bit of oats.

Maybe I'm not supposed to feed him and other people are paid to take care of the horses but he deserves it.

Besides, what can they say? I'm the princess, I can do whatever I want.

That sounded a bit pretentious.