Chapter 7

After the ball, my whole week was filled with family dinners and meetings.

The four families see each other more than I thought but after all, it's logical. They do rule together.

That means I had to see Chase, again...and again. The perks of it were that I got to know more about Cam and Aristide (who now lets me call her Aris).

Cam's passion is surfing. Not that it surprises me really, he looks like someone who would have for a hobby something a little dangerous and original at the same time. He is also a painter.

He told me, in one of our numerus conversation around the dinner table that he loves to paint landscapes, especially the ocean.

- Were you a mermaid in another life? It seems like you have a weird attraction to the ocean, I had asked him.

- Why would it be in "another life"? I'm still a mermaid, he had replied with a stupid smile on his face.

And I laughed and everybody had looked at me. Can't nobody have fun here?

I kept talking with him as Chase and I had gone for the last piece of cake at the same time.

I had been faster and while I had been stuffing my mouth with this incredible apple pie, I had watched as he was looking at me, squinting his eyes.

Maybe I can't win the war but I can win battles.

So, I made it my duty to annoy him as much as possible. Because I wanted too and because he is as annoying as I am. And because I dislike him very much. These are my only reasons.

Three days ago, we had lunch with a few noble families, acquainted with the regents. They have boys who are Mason's, Chase's and Cam's friends.

How funny it is to distract them. They would honestly be interested by everything that looks like a breathing thing. I loved to see Chase face when all of his "friends" left him alone for a girl they had just met.

They had ended up being all very boring, with nothing to bring to the conversation but it was something I could endure for Chase's reaction.

But it had started raining and we all had to go inside. The guests had left a few minutes after that and when I had passed by Chase, I didn't forget to mess with him:

- I'm so sorry I made it rain today.

Without throwing him an amused smirk.

I had the occasion to speak with Mason again. What he likes is a little different from Cam. Mason sword-fights.

A little cliché for a prince but why not?

All of the heirs learn to fight. Actually, no. I misspoke, sorry.

Only the boys.

Which I think is stupid because have you ever heard about the story of the girl who defended herself with a book and a pair of heals?

Well, me neither.

Talking about heals, I tried to get to know Indira better. I said tried.

But each time, she couldn't help herself to comment on my outfit or my hair. What she likes a lot is to ask really strange questions to me in front of her friends.

- Tell me Roese, how did you do in the winter? You must've been so cold in your little house, with not heat!

Do you know about something called fire?

Of course, she isn't dumb. She is just saying that to piss me off and make me look like a poor girl who slept on the floor and knows nothing about anything. Her friends are stupid though. I shouldn't judge on first impressions... but I can allow myself that just one time.