Chapter 9

I am in the carriage, leading me to the west palace. Cam has invited me to spend the afternoon with him.

These past few days I have been alone in the palace, taking lessons with my teachers, horse-riding or reading. Uncle Jacob hasn't been here a lot but I feel like since we have had that conversation about the great war, we've grown closer.

It still feels weird to know we are related but I'm starting to accept it and to grow fond of this place. The palace, the gardens, the forest, my bedroom. I'm not going to lie: I like the comfort I have here. But that doesn't mean I forget where I come from and who I am.

It's been almost two months since I got here. Time is passing by too fast; I feel like it was yesterday. What would I be doing right now if I was still in my old house, with Clarisse?

The carriage finally stops, in front of the west palace and one of the butlers help me to get out of it. Cam is there, waiting for me.

- Roese! How are you today? He asks me as he comes hugging me.

- I'm alright and you? Did you get tanned already!?

- I did, he smiles. I've spent some time on the beach, surfing when I could.

- I should go outside more too; I say as I look at my arm, not as tanned as I used to be when I worked outside.

- Let's get inside, he says as I follow him inside the palace.

Cam and I have a very special relationship. We could never be anything more than friends. I think that platonic relationships are so important. I'm so glad I met him.

He speaks about his passion for surfing for about an hour.

Cam goes surfing on the Silver Sea in the east part of the city. That is what I love about the capital, Sol. There are mountains, forests, plains, lakes, the Diamond River, the Silver Sea. In one place, you can find all of the different landscapes.

He also shows me his newest paintings: one with very bright colors. Shades of orange and yellow, mixed together into the perfect sunset. Another with darker colors. The forest, at night. The moon shining bright and the tall and thick trees. We can't see anything past them, past the secrets hidden behind this vegetations.

- I used to spend a lot of time in the east palace, after surfing, when I was younger, Cam tells me while sitting on his bed.

I seat on the floor, my legs crossed.

- Indira and I used to be really good friends.

At that I raise my eyebrow.

- I mean we still are, I guess, he continues. You know, she likes the sea too. But not surfing, just the beauty of it. She's lucky, they live right in front of it.

As he talks about her, I suspect something. He seems to see so much good things in her. Not that there aren't. Just that she hasn't tried to show them to me yet.

- Do you like her? I ask him with a smirk.

- What?

- Do you have a crush on her? I repeat myself.

- Why? Do you?" he asks back.

- No, I laugh,

I don't really like her actually.

- So, do you? I ask.

He looks at me, not saying anything, then avoids my gaze. I have the answer I wanted.

-  Does she know?

- Nah, she's too focused on Chase, he shakes his head.

I frown at his answer. Is she into Chase? Well, I kind of figured it out but now Cam has confirmed it. And he is annoyed by it.