Chapter 16

I look at him, not knowing what to say, my mouth opening and closing as I go mute.

At this point I can't even try to pretend. He can see right through me and I hate it.

- Please tell me.

I can see he's trying to sound calm but his eyes don't lie. 

- You still don't trust me? He asks quietly.

If only it was about that. He is watching me, waiting for my answer. And it pains me, it does pain me that I can't tell him.

- I went to talk to him yesterday, in the prison, I still say.

- Why? He gets closer, still looking in my eyes.

- I thought he would trust me more. Being new to all of this. If he doesn't trust the royal families like he says, he might trust me.

At that I lower my eyes. I'm a bad liar, I've always been and not being able to hold his gaze won't help.

Even if I wasn't lying, I don't think I could look at him for too long. His eyes are so deep and...

- You're a part of the royal families too, he tells me.

- You know I'll never be like you Chase. I was born in a different environment; nobody will ever completely trust me.

I take a step back and cross his confused gaze.

- Have you asked yourself why nobody could find me before ? Why didn't my mom hide me in another palace? She chose the far end of this country. Even after the evil king disappeared, my uncle only came to search for me 16 years after that. On top of that my two parents died a few months after the dark war. It all seems so... strange to me and I have all of these questions that nobody can answer. Or wants to.

- I get it. But you can trust me Roese, he gets closer. I trust you.

He breathes out and asks:

- Did you know that guy? Did you know him from before, were you like...

- What? No, of course no. I don't know him, Chase, I shake my head, frowning.

- Good, he whispers. What did you talk about? he asks, looking in my eyes, searching for the answer.

He almost feels vulnerable in this moment like he is putting all of his trust in me. My stomach twists from the thought of breaking it. But I can't tell him, he can't know.

- I asked him the same things they asked him during the interrogatory.

- What did he say? he gets even closer.

I look once at my fidgeting hands before looking up at him again.

- He said he didn't lie. That everything he said was true.

- What else?

- Nothing.

- Roese...

He understands well enough that I'm not telling him everything.

- I...

- Were you the one who helped him escape?

My heart skips a beat. Why would he assume that with what I just told him? Is it that obvious that I could be the one who did it? He doesn't know my secret so why would he have any reason to think that?

- What?

- You heard me.

And he has gotten so close I can't concentrate anymore. He smells good, like a comforting smell. From up so close his eyes look like warm honey. I didn't notice it before but they are lighter than I thought.