Chapter 15

As soon as I wake up and start getting ready for breakfast, I hear the maiden talking about the prisoner's escape. He vanished into thin air.

I don't know if I need to be worried honestly because I could've never gotten the keys without...

Never mind. All I hope for is that he is going to keep his promise to me.

I still wonder why I let him escape really. He hasn't proved himself to me but still I feel like I can trust him.

When I'm ready, I go downstairs and walk in the dining room. Uncle Jacob is already there and I sit down next to him at the table, trying to be as natural as possible.

What a pitiful liar I am! I know he can see right through my weird countenance.

- How did he get out? He asks casually while my head jerks to face him, in surprise.

- Who? I feign ignorance while biting into a piece of toast.

He motions for the staff to walk out of the room.

- What did you do Roese? He asks once we're alone. Are you aware that there is no way he could've gone out on his own? Someone had to open the door for him.

He's watching my reaction.

- The keys were stolen. You were the only one who entered the prison yesterday.

- Are you saying I am the one who let him out? That's crazy.

- Roese...

- You don't know that, I protest. Someone could have gotten him out.

- You did.

- Why would I do that?

- I don't know, you tell me? What did you talk about, what did he say? He questions me, seeing right through my lie.

- I just asked him questions about the attack. He didn't tell me more than what we already knew, I lower my eyes on my breakfast.

- I don't believe one word you're saying, he shakes his head. What did you want to know? You can trust me; he adds after a pause.

Can I? I feel like he has been hiding so much things from me these past few weeks. I'm new to all of this and it looks like everybody finds a reason to put the blame on me about things I don't have any control of. His whisperings and mumblings don't help with it.

- Roese, he leans closer with a reassuring look. You can tell me everything.

But as I was about to spill it all out or not, somebody knocks on the door.

Uncle Jacob sighs, still looking at me.

- Enter, he says turning to the now opened door.

- Your majesty, a butler comes in. The hour of your meeting is earlier than expected, the other regents asked to move it forward to in 20 minutes.

He looks at me one last time, with a gaze full of questions, before getting up.

- We are going to finish this conversation when I return.

I nod knowing that I'll do anything to avoid it.

As he hurries out of the room, I am left alone. Not that it bothers me, I need silence right now, I need peace.

Just as I'm about to leave the room myself, I stop.

Uncle Jacob has always seemed to know things, all related to me of course.

And he seemed so worried earlier.

I remember the time I heard him and the gardener speaking about roses. He had said something so strange after, mentioning my mother. I remember the conversation as if I was still there.