Chapter 12

I haven't really been able to sleep these last few days. The interaction I had with Chase last Sunday keeps replaying in my mind.

I'm asking myself questions that I don't want the answers to and I hate that he takes so much space in my thoughts and mind.

On top of that, this summer's weather is worsening. The air is so warm we are having a lot of storms. There is no drought though because, mostly at night, the storms bring us clouds with rain that hydrates the soil and fills the river.

But last night was different. There was a storm more powerful than any other storm I have ever seen. There were no stars in the sky, it was pitch dark outside but as a first strike of lighting hit, it illuminated the night.

It was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen.

I had opened my window and all of the rain came rushing in. It had woken me up and as the lighting was tearing the sky apart, it was the only source of light expected for the city's lights.

The view was majestic.

I had let the rain fall on my face and arms. I don't really know why but I had stayed under the rain and watched the storm unfold before me. The wind was blowing in my hair and in the trees.

But then, excepted for the sound of the rain, it had gotten quiet.

No more thunder.

Just like that, the storm had ended. Or I thought it did.

But as I had started to close the window, a flash of light, brighter than I had ever seen tore the sky apart. So powerful it had looked like it was going to divide the night sky in two.

But then it had hit the ground.

I couldn't quite see where, but it was far from here.

In the north, after the city.

It had met with the ground. The sky and earth had united for a small second. After that, it was silent again.

The storm was over.

I had decided it was time for me to go back inside.

The rest of the night had been quiet. It's like the sky had put all his power left in one huge lighting that tore the sky, met with the ground and had rumbled through the night.

I couldn't really manage to fall asleep after that. I stared at my ceiling, not thinking about anything in particular just not being able to doze off. It has happened to me these past weeks, maybe because I'm sleeping in a different place and that I still haven't gotten used to it?

It can take some time to adapt sometimes. Maybe I'm not doing as good as I thought.

The next morning, I wake up around 8 am. I feel tired but I cannot stay in bed any longer.

I decide to get ready and put on a short, light-yellow dress. I tie my hair in a lose braid and wash my face in the bathroom's sink. I never think to call for Lydia and Claire and I honestly prefer getting ready myself.

I should take breakfast downstairs. Uncle Jacob isn't here this morning, he told me he had a meeting in the north.

I start jogging down the stairs and rushing towards the dinning room but before I can go any further, I bump into someone.

I look up, apologizing when I am met with nobody else but Chase.

I step back because I was literally against him two seconds ago.

- Good morning, he tells me not expecting to see me. Almost embarrassed.

He usually looks so sure of himself.