06. at your age

SIX ✃ AT YOUR AGE

SIX ✃ AT YOUR AGE.

2020.

𝕿he months passed like a breath, winter turning into spring, until the arrival of summer and autumn (apparently my favourite time) and then, finally, always the same loop. All over again for every year of my life, and I thought it would be like that until the end of my days. It was definitely tiring, watching another winter slip by, but I could call myself lucky because it had been decidedly different from previous years.

That late December morning, I was well aware of my fate.

"How long has it been since you slept?" my manager asked fleetingly after finding a breakfast bar. In my heart I was well aware of his concealed concern, my face showed clear signs of fatigue, I was constantly nervous and inattentive and I had been so far behind with my schedule for a couple of months.

"I'm fine, really"

He nodded, not taking the easy way out for my lie, but I had to at least try. It had been quite a troubled year.

He handed me a cup of coffee, leafing through the newspaper afterwards, a practice that was not very common, but he was a man who did not let go of old habits, he flipped through a page looking at the paper.

I sipped carefully not to get dirty, the diner was quite noisy and no matter how careful I was, my eyes instinctively landed on my phone, which was lit up by three notifications.

Hi

I'm done with work, I should be in town by tonight.

Do you want to come for dinner? My place! A simple movie, nothing more

A small spontaneous smile lands on my face.

"Who is it?" asked my manager, not deigning to give me a glance. That was fine, I didn't want him to read my feelings so blatantly.