Epilogue

The funeral was simple, and underpopulated. Anyone who passed by might have thought it to be a sad sight. They might've stopped and shaken their head at the sorry looking three figures, crowded around the small patch of missing earth while the officiater read from an old looking book, even though he knew the words by heart.
One might even think that the poor family had lost a child of theirs. Oh how wrong they were.
The death of poor, lonely Eliza Riddick couldn't have brought better things. Even if it looked dark staring into the deep rectangular hole at the wooden box that held a broken body, the light would soon shine through, for the man and woman were holding each other for the first time in years, and the little girl held hope in her eyes that maybe they would all be happy and together again.
And her hope wasn't broken, for the very next week, wedding rings were pulled back out from the backs of drawers, and a for sale sign was soon after placed in front of the middle aged man's house. The school was handed his resignation and soon he was back in California with a new song in his heart and a new reason to create.
And the man rebuilt his career in music, and the little girl was happy, and the woman was no longer worried about losing him to anyone else. Perhaps he had learned his lesson, or perhaps he was just scared. Either way, he cried every day in silence when nobody else was around, mourning the loss of the girl he had loved, the girl who had been to young, the girl who was too mature for her own good, the girl who was always too lonely, the girl who had died too early. And he went back up the coast every year to sit in between the two graves that were always meant to be next to each other, and he talked and cried and sat in silence all day long, leaning against the stone that held her name.
Eliza Macy Riddick.

~~~
It's been a fun little run. Thank you to everyone who has read this until the end. I'm sorry it had to end like this. Originally, I had wanted to kill off everyone, but I decided that I would make this one a little happier.
Thanks for reading,
Shriek.