Chapter Nine

Eliza’s POV

Today was the last day of spring break. That meant that tomorrow I would have to go back to school. And, knowing Ophelia, there would be rumors and whispering about me flooding the hallways of the school. I could handle a lot, but I didn’t want to handle that. Mikey had gone home yesterday, and we hadn’t really told him about our unspoken decision. Well, I wasn’t sure what that was exactly either. I just knew that that kiss we shared had meant something. Something big. However, we hadn’t spoken or done anything about it yet because Gee was busy figuring out something with Bandit. 

That’s why I was at the comic store right now. His lawyer was at his house so that they could sort things out. I was supposed to pick up a few comics for him that were supposed to come in today and then go to the park and wait for him to meet me there. He said that he would get us Starbucks and then we could go home. 

I was grateful for everything that Gee was allowing me to do. That’s another thing. I have gotten used to calling him Gee over the course of the week, and I wasn’t sure how I was to avoid doing that at school. I could do it, easily, but I was scared that I would be too preoccupied with other things to focus on what I was calling my maybe, maybe not, illegal-if-it-is, boyfriend. I shouldn’t be thinking of that word. I didn’t even know if we were together or not. 

I was disappointed in myself. The only thing that I wanted was to stay out of complicated situations, and the second time I actually find myself liking someone enough to want to date them, they’re twice my age and my teacher. I wasn’t an adult yet, so that made it illegal in two different ways. I wouldn’t be surprised if he didn’t want to pursue something with me. I was a hazard. Especially if he was trying to get partial or full custody of his six year old daughter.

I thanked the cashier as he handed me my receipt and then I left for the park. It was about twenty minutes before I got there, and when I did, I headed straight for the empty swings. It would probably be a while before Gee got here, so I decided to flip through the comics that I picked up for him. 

I mean, they weren’t all for him, there were one or two that were mine, but that’s only because the only comics that I was able to retrieve from my old house were the ones that had already been in my school bag that I had with me. When I had gone to my house, I had found a few of my belongings in a large cardboard box sitting on the curb next to a trashcan. I was able to collect a few clothes from the box and the drawing that Gee had given to me. The rest had already been taken by others or ruined by the rain, and my mom had probably brought my bass and amp to a pawn shop. 

I managed to read through both of my comics and three and a half of Gerard’s before the familiar mop of unruly brown hair took it’s place on the swing next to me. It was funny. His hair always seemed to be a complete mess, and yet it never was enough to deduct from his attractiveness. 

“Hey,” he said, handing me a cup of warm liquid and sending me a sweet smile. “You ready to go home?” I nodded and took a sip of what I had expected to be a cup of coffee. However, I was met with the pleasant surprise of hot chocolate. 

“How’d you know I wanted this?” I asked, furrowing my eyebrows and studying the paper cup and plastic lid as if I were discovering electricity for the first time. 

“You always get it. I even ordered it with whipped cream and sprinkles, but the lid sort of ruined that.” I shifted my gaze from the cup to his face with the sudden realization that I had found someone who cared enough about me to remember what I regularly ordered in a coffee shop. And, for some reason, this made me laugh.

He smiled too, as if my laughter were contagious. 

“What’s so funny?” He asks, giggling like the adorable fuck he is.