Chapter Fifteen

The next day, Grantaire received a reminder on his phone, telling him that is was Eponine's birthday in a week.

"Oh, it's Eponine's birthday next week." he said to Courfeyrac.

"I know. She doesn't want to make a huge deal out of it." Courfeyrac replied.

"What are you getting her?"

"I don't know yet. Something special."

"Aw. I might get her a copy of Pride and Prejudice. She's always borrowing it from the library but doesn't actually have her own copy."

"She'll love that."

"Wait, she's not having a party or anything?"

"Nope."

"Surely you're not going to allow that."

"Of course I'm not! I'm planning a surprise party for her. Do you mind if we have it here?"

"No, I don't mind."

"Okay, great. I know that she absolutely hates proper parties, but she seemed to enjoy the Harry Potter marathon, so I think we should have a huge sleepover."

"That sounds perfect."

"Okay, so we can do it on her actual birthday and everyone can be here waiting when she arrives."

"But how are you gonna get her here?"

"I'll tell her that I left the living room window open and a bird flew in and I can't get it out and that you've gone out with Joly."

"Didn't that happen before?"

"Yes, which is why it's so believable."

"Fair enough."

"Tell Enjolras to come."

"To Eponine's birthday sleepover?"

"She'll kill us if we don't invite him."

"I suppose so."

"I'll text everyone now, but I don't have Enjolras' number, so you'll have to text him."

"Will do."

~*~

And so the planning began. Everyone agreed to come, including Enjolras, and they all promised not to tell Eponine.

Planning it was easy, but keeping it from her was tricky, as Eponine always knew immediately if something was up. Courfeyrac had to stop himself from acting like a child when she was around and Marius was forbidden to speak to her for the entire week, but, finally, Eponine's birthday arrived.

"I feel kind of bad," said Courfeyrac as they waited for everyone to arrive, "She must think that everyone's forgotten about her birthday."

"She'll understand when she gets here." Grantaire assured him.

When everyone arrived, Courfeyrac rang Eponine, putting her on loudspeaker.

"Hey." she answered. She sounded sad and guilt flashed across Courfeyrac's face.

"'Ponine, I need help." he said.

"What's wrong now?"

"So, I left the living room window open and a bird flew in and I can't get it out."

"Again?"

"Yeah, again."

"Why can't R help?"

"He went out with Joly."

"Ugh. I'll be over now." Eponine sighed and ended the call.

"Okay, it'll only take her a few minutes to get here so everybody find a place to hide." Courfeyrac instructed. Everyone did just that, Grantaire and Enjolras hiding behind the sofa.