Chapter 2

"I'll be going out now!" I called, unlocking the door fluidly and pulling it open. I heard footsteps behind me coming from the kitchen, and I turned my head slightly to look.

"Where are you going?" My mom appeared in the living room. She walked towards me, wiping her hands on her apron. I felt a twinge of embarrassment out of having to answer to that, since I was technically an adult, but I quickly brushed off my pride, for that was just my still-teenage mind talking.

"Meeting a friend," I replied casually. My mother didn't give it a second thought. She just smiled softly.

"Well, I'm glad you're making friends so soon," she commented. I nodded and opened the door fully, walking out, but pausing in the little doorway outside of the apartment building. It was barely chilly, and the sun was currently covered by clouds. Even so, I had covered myself in a winter coat of sunscreen.

I checked my outfit for the tenth time. I was wearing cutoff shorts, a loose black tank top, a denim jacket with cotton sleeves, and my normal, completely worn out, black Chucks, the little circles of the Converse logo on both ankles smudged from all the times I had kicked or tripped over myself. Everything looked fine at the moment, though it would probably look completely off as soon as I stopped paying attention to it, as usual. But now, I looked fine, and that was all that mattered. After checking my reflection in my phone and patting down my hair, I went out the doorway of the building.

Jungkook was waiting outside, leaning against a tree as he shaded his face with his hand. He smiled his playful, mischievous smile and waved me over. I bit the inside of my cheek in complete "oh my God he looks so hot and I don't and please notice that I looked this decent just for you" and hurried to his side. We had been hanging out for a week or so, and I still felt butterflies every time we met. He probably wasn't interested in me, but that didn't stop my heart from doing a tap dance every time I saw him. My breath hitched as he took my hand, a friendly gesture for close friends, and we were on our way to get ice cream and go shopping.

"How are you?" he asked, swinging our hands back and forth way too high like a child. I tried my best to not run away, screaming and crying about holding hands with him. My heartbeat was thundering in my chest, and I had to think about literally everything else to keep from focusing on him in order to keep my cheeks their usual pale color.

"Er, g-good. You?" I returned with an overly cordial tone, slapping myself internally for doing so. Was this a job interview with the government? Jungkook shrugged.

"Better now that I'm with you," he said with a devious glint in his sinful eyes. I rolled my eyes, smacking his arm, and he chuckled. He was terribly good looking, but that still had made me cringe.

"That... was really bad," I remarked. Jungkook let a sly grin creep into his lips, flashing his cute chipmunk teeth, and I smacked his arm again.

Even though I knew he was joking, his little flirting made me go crazy. I wished he was serious, but he wasn't. He was too... him. With my luck, he was probably a gay guy pretending to be straight who secretly liked some weird guy with a weirder name like A.

"Oh, we're here!" he announced as we stopped in front of a colorful ice cream parlor. The building itself was white, and the sign and the decorations were varying shades of neon colors. It looked like a child's dream, with the blazing neon lights against a whimsically pale color.

We entered the store, no longer holding hands, much to my disappointment, and the lady at the counter greeted us with a polite smile.

"Whaddya want?" Jungkook asked me, leaning over to murmur in my ear. I furrowed my brow in concentration--ice cream flavor was an extremely decision--and glanced at the board to see the flavors.