chapter 1.

I stepped over the twisted dark tree roots and deeper into the fog. I saw a hooded figure between two crumbling grave stones. They began to move into the fog away from sight. I picked up my pace and tried to navigate the fog. To my right I saw a break in the fog and I quietly but swiftly moved through it. I heard a crunch behind me and spun around. The figure was there and I grabbed my knife and put it to their throat. 

"Who are you working for?" I hissed to them.

"I- I don't know what you- you are talking about." They croaked.

"Yes you do." I spoke slowly with anger growing. 

"I dont- please...stop please-" Before they could mutter a word I sliced their throat and they fell into the fog and dirt. 

Hopefully this was the guy I was looking for and not a random person. I bent down and slipped my hand into their coat pocket. I felt paper and smiled. I pulled it out and stood up, giving them one last look before I turned to walk away. How ironic to die in a cemetery. 

Time skip of a day, 6pm

I saw a village coming into my view as I rode on my horse Bucky. I hope this was the right place. The paper had given the mission and location. A rookie move to keep that on you and not destroy it. They must have been a new thief on their first mission. The paper said they were looking for a valuable gold earring with an emerald and it was located in the kingdom and village of Marren. 

This would be an easy mission. They didn't specify who it belonged to but how hard could it be? I could sell it to the pawn shop per usual. And by killing that guy I did him a favor, the boss he worked for is a dick, that's why I work by myself. 

Bucky stepped onto the cobble pathway and I could hear the click of his every step. We entered a stable where I payed the woman to keep him for a few days. 

I entered an inn that seemed to be empty besides me, the man working there and the cat sleeping on the stairs. 

The room I was given was small but I wouldn't be here for too long so it was okay. The room was white with pictures of green rolling hills and flowers. There was a dresser to the left that was big and of dark walnut wood and it matched the bed frame to the small twin sized bed. It had dark green bedding that matched the small rug and squishy armchair. I threw my backpack on the bed and went to the bathroom to fix my hair.

 I saw out the bathroom window the sunset filled with oranges and pinks that were bright and beautiful. Can't waste a good sunset, might as well go watch it. I grabbed my room keys and went out of the inn.

The village was large but quiet. The street lights were lit with fire and the people were making there way to there homes. Children held hands and laughed a they skipped away behind buildings to their homes. People in their businessess closing their curtains and locking their doors for the nights. 

Everyone doing their own thing, in their own world, with their own thoughts. 

I left the village and found a grassy hill and sat down to watch the sunset. The wind kissed my face and the grass held my hands. The birds sang me songs and the fireflies painted me pictures. 

The birds weren't singing to nothing though. They sang along to the wind and the violin playing in the distance. I turned my head to the sweet music and saw the castle in the distance and a man on the balcony holding a violin playing it like he was the only person in the world. 

I watched the way his long pink hair blew in the wind and framed his face. The way his eye closed when the music hit every other note like he could not bear to see the music hit the cool air. He played a long note and pulled the bow away, and stared out into the mountains. He let out a breath and admired the sky like he would never see it again. 

His head whipped back as a young boy flew onto the balcony from the room behind him and the man and young boy walked into the room. The door closing behind them, cutting them off from the world.

I closed my eyes and let my hands slip out from under me. The grass seemed to grow around me and pull me in, and all I could do was surrender.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
811 words

Welcome to the Kingdom of Marren (: