chapter 3.

The dress fit perfectly, like a glove. The neckline looked graceful and sweet and the bodice clung to my body perfectly falling into the tulle skirt. I passed my hands over the fabric and felt the ruffles, it was perfect. I looked into the large mirror in front of me and did a small spin turing my head to watch in the mirror as I did so.

(Dress pic at the end)

"Does it fit okay?" Niki asked from outside the door.

I gave one last look into the mirror and twisted the doorknob, pushing the door open. I looked to Niki who had the biggest smile and clutching her hands together.

"Oh! Y/n that looks perfect!" She exclaimed.

I laughed and looked down at the skirt that just hit the floor to where it was floor length, but I wouldn't trip.

"It's really...Niki, it's really perfect but I don't think I have enough money for it right now."

"Oh no, honey, you can have it free of charge. It's on me!" She smiled ear to ear.

I cant just take this dress, strange thought for me but I cant steal from her, she is too kind.

"No no, Niki I really can't."

"Please, Iver would want you to have it." Why would he want me to have it? I cant say no because I don't think she would accept that answer, so I thank her and change back into my clothes as she puts the dress in a box for me.

I walk out of her shop and see someone between two shops in a clock. From where I am usually located for missions this isn't out of the ordinary but something feels off about this. I watch the figure peek their cloaked head out of the small alley between shops. Should I follow them?

I turn and walk back into Nikis shop, "Hey Niki, could you watch my dress real quick?" She shouts back a quick yes as she digs through a large sewing box.

I step outside of the shop and see the figure still in the alleyway with their cloaks hood up all the way. Their head is slowly surveying the town full of children and people shopping and talking. I can't see their face as I watch them. As if they sensed my presence, they make eye contact with me and their dark red, almost black eyes flash. No, no, red eyes? What?

They slowly pull their hood over their head more and step backwards into the alleyway. I want this to stop here but I know I wont, my body is pulling me through the crowds before my thoughts can catch up. I reach the alley and touch the cold brick where they were just standing.

The alleyway is dark, and I run my hand against the brick as I walk deeper into the darkness. Why is it so dark?

My hand reaches the end of the brick in the darkness and I strain my eyes to try and see where I am. I make out the outlines of tall, large things, I stumble closer and feel bark, must be a forest. The canopy is so dense that it looks like midnight.

I jump as I feel something soft rub against my arm. I'm not alone and that could be an animal. Maybe I shouldn't stay here, but maybe I should.

My eyes start to get used to the darkness and I can see the outlines of trees and some roots. I then realized how quiet it is, no birds, no breeze, no-, I hear a whisper from about ten feet away. My heart starts to beat faster, I have my dagger, but it's in my boot. I slowly bend down and begin to slip my hand down my leg to reach my boot.

Breathing right next to me ear, "Don't even try." Their breath is hot next to my ear, and they are right beside me. I slowly stand back up and try to make out their features, but they are beside me, and my body won't let me move.

"Why are you following me?" Their voice is a gruff whisper in my ear.

"You looked suspicious, and I deal in the suspicious." I say in the strongest whisper my body will allow.

He clicks his tongue, and my body tenses at the sound, "Sure, sure, why are you here?"

"I already told you." I respond.

"No, I don't think you did," I hear a sword being unsheathed, and all I can do is run.

My legs carry me deeper into the woods, and I stumble over the roots and my arms and being attacked by branches. I hear their footsteps approaching and I quicken my pace. I make a quick turn around a tree and run towards where the alley lead back to the village. I'm almost there.

I see the light and run with all I can and when I'm about to jump over a fallen branch I feel cold metal hit my hand. I grunt in pain as the cold sensation turns to a hot burn. I pull my arm forward and hold it with my other hand as I run into the light at the start of the alley.

I spin around when I hit the alley and don't see the mysterious person anywhere. I'm safe, for now.

I look down at my hand and see a long gash along the top of my left hand. Perfect. Not like there is a ball tonight. Thankfully the town had calmed down so I could scoop some fountain water to wash the blood off.

The water stings badly but I have supplies for this. I walk back to the inn; I can pick up my dress later. I walk into the doors as quickly as I can because no one can see this gash on my hand. Thankfully I don't see Iver and walk up the stairs past the old cat.

I walk into my room and quickly lock the door. I rummage through my backpack for the special medicine another thief traded me for some information. I pull out the small bottle with yellow liquid and put some on a cloth to put on my gash. I wrap a bandage over the cloth on my hand and then throw some gloves on. Hopefully no one questions this.

I step out of my room and walk down the stairs, and check the clock on the front desk, its almost 4pm, three more hours till the ball.

"Where's your dress?" Iver asks from behind me, scaring the soul out of me.

"I- I wow, um, I'm going to go pick it up right now, actually." He nods and smiles as he walks down the hall.

He's strange, but he's kind.

I turn and push open the door and walk over to Nikis. My hand has a slight throb of pain and is sweating a lot under my bandage.

I reach Nikis and walk into her shop. She's deep into some reading at her counter with furrowed brows. She hasn't looked up at me yet and it seems like she isn't going to unless I say something.

"Hey Niki." She jumps and throws the small book into the air and covers her face.

"I- um wow, I did not see you there," she goes behind the counter and picks up her book and emerges while tucking her hair behind her ear, "are you here for your dress?"

"Yes."

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
1257 words

Heres your extra chapter for Christmas